Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
second opinion std and hiv status and is testing needed
dobos54 posted:
I recently slept with three sex workers all using condoms no breaks in any of the condoms. In one of the instances i had a blister on my hand when removing the condom and got some vaginal fluid on i .The blister was pretty raw and open but had like a day or two it had been healing. I also recieved unprotected oral sex on my penis unerect for 2 1seconds then as soon as she put her mouth on my penis i piulled out and said no and put a condom on. I spoke with a doctor from the uk on med help he said all these were zero risk and no need for testing. He said hiv cannot infect outside the body unless in a lab setting for the hand thing. He said for the sex encounters no risk because the condoms didnt break. He said for the 2 second unprotected oral sex no risk for hiv and stds also do to the brevity of the encounter. I was just wondering if you had any different opinion then this md?

Nieciedo responded:
I agree with everything that doctor told you.

You used condoms, so the intercourse was protected and not a risk.

Receiving oral sex is not a high-risk activity at all, especially not for such a short duration.

Once a wound has had time to clot and begin to heal, it is no longer an open portal into the body and thus HIV cannot get in.

It is a good idea for everyone who is sexually active to get tested on a regular basis, but there is nothing to worry about in what you have reported here.

Dan

dobos54 replied to Nieciedo's response:
The blister was pretty raw bad blister still open and red with fluid, but he said hiv unless in lab conditions loses its ability to infect outside the body. My issue is it was a very open raw blister but it was a day later dont know if that makes a difference or not in the risk. how long does it take for a blister to clot? Also he said i was over worrying and there was no need for testing which i thought sounded insane. He claims he studied the virus many times in all kinds of conditions and there is no way vaginal fluid especially can infect after being exposed to air that isnt exactly 92 degrees with the right amount of moisture and perfect lab conditions.

just wanted a second opinion on that because i never heard that but i checked on him he is a real deal hiv researcher from the uk and doctor who has almost 20 years expierence studying the virus world wide

He also said i would be the first person in history to report contracting the hiv virus in the manner in which i described and i was not about to make history

Thats the blister on the hand thing i just was talking about he seemed pretty full of himself but he does have allot of expierence i told him i was gonna get tested and he said it was a waste of my time and money

David J Malebranche, MD, MPH replied to dobos54's response:
Hello sir,

I don't think you will make history at all... you don't have a high risk for HIV at all... don't worry and continue to get tested regularly with healthcare visits.

But, you may want to consider your sleeping with sex workers - it sounds like your anxiety may be related to you thinking that they will automatically pose a risk to you. So if sleeping with them gets you nervous about HIV with even the slightest of issues and low risk behavior - why not just stop sleeping with them?

David

dobos54 replied to David J Malebranche, MD, MPH's response:
I am 100% done worst three mistakes of my life it has been a nightmare that will hopefully end may 11th 3 month test so you so low risk and the uk doc says no risk i guess that is better than high risk

dobos54 replied to David J Malebranche, MD, MPH's response:
I will let you guys know what happend in three months i hope the uk med help doc and you r right. uk no risk u.s. low risk dont get the varying opinions of people in the field. I got my anxiety meds and my rabbits foot till then thanks doc

Fox123 replied to David J Malebranche, MD, MPH's response:
to David J Malebranche, MD, MPH
Please help. I had sex with a sex worker in TJ, Mexico. I received oral with condom on and then had intercourse with the same condom the hotel gave her. The condom slipped about 25-33% during intercourse. ( This was the worst thing I have ever done but I was not in the right state of mind cuz of personal problems) Two weeks later I had stomach pains, sore throat and a canker sore and loss of groin hairs. I had a HIV test 9 weeks later and it came back negative(non-reactive) . What are the odds of me actually being positive? What causes a delay in anti-bodies? What other STD could I have?I never went back to retest. This was 10 years ago. I still get an occasional canker sore. I am pretty healthy.

Nieciedo replied to Fox123's response:
You received oral sex and had vaginal intercourse with a condom that did not break. HIV cannot pass through an intact latex barrier. It doesn't matter that the condom slipped slightly during intercourse: that is normal given the mechanics of sex. As long as your urethra was always covered by the condom, you were not at any risk for HIV.

Although an HIV test at 9 weeks is not considered fully conclusive, it is still an extremely good indication of status. However, since the sexual activity was protected by the condom there is no chance you got HIV from this.

HIV does not cause canker sores or loss of pubic hair.

Delays in antibody production can be caused simply by the individual's natural variation in bodily symptoms. Most people will have produced enough antibodies to test positive by 6 weeks. More than 99.9% will test positive by 13 weeks, and the rest can take up to 6 months due to either congenital immune illnesses or intensive medical treatments like organ transplants or chemotherapy.

Based on the risk you experienced, the STDs you might have been exposed to are herpes and syphilis. If you have not had a complete STD screening, it is a good idea. However, both of those diseases have symptoms that you should have noticed by now.

Again, to sum up, since the sexual contact was protected there was no risk. Your test confirmed that. You can stop worrying about this.

Dan

alx923 replied to David J Malebranche, MD, MPH's response:
I quite agree with you there!

Fox123 replied to Nieciedo's response:
thanks for your response Nieciedo. I forgot to mention that she used some lub but i don't know if it was water based. The fact that i get canker sores scares me and that my feet have been flaky with pinkish and purple marks recently scares me. I tell myself that statistics are on my side. 9 week hiv negative test is about 95% accurate and a condom was used through out the whole acts. again this was 10 years ago.

Helpful Tips

Coping With Anxiety & HIV Worry
Is HIV anxiety keeping you up at night? Are you finding yourself questioning every random act as an HIV risk? Don't let anxiety steal your ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.