Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    If you've never had sex before and your parents don't have HIV can you have HIV?
    An_244209 posted:
    Just a question that I have about HIV. If one has never had sex before or any sexual acts and if one's parents do not have HIV, is it possible to have HIV?
    Nieciedo responded:

    HIV needs come into the body from outside. Primarily, that happens through sex with an infected person. HIV can also be transmitted via exposure to the blood of an infected person. In developed nations, the blood supply is checked for HIV so no one gets infected via blood transfusion any more. The only realistic way that people get infected via blood is sharing IV needles.

    So, if you've never had sex and you haven't shared needles, you can't have gotten HIV.

    Algorithms replied to Nieciedo's response:
    Thank you so much! Just paranoid from what I've been reading/hearing.

    Thanks again!

    Helpful Tips

    What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
    Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    27 of 40 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.