Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
PCR Testing Accuracy
An_244366 posted:
I recently got tested for HIV with a PCR test 10 days after potential exposure. How accurate are these tests? All the information I've found is years old and I would assume the test has been tweaked over the years to be as accurate as possible. I've been freaking out for weeks and I can't do this for 3 more months waiting for an anti-body test so if anyone has any advice or knowledge on PCR accuracy I would appreciate it.

Nieciedo responded:
The polymerase chair reaction type of test is usually used to measure the viral load of HIV-positive patients. That is to say, it searches for the presence of the virus itself instead of the antibodies produced against the virus.

If you had been infected 10 days prior to this test, it is likely that the virus would have made sufficient copies of itself for the test to detect. So, if this test did not discover an HIV that is probably an indication that there is no HIV to be found.

I would follow this up with an antibody test at 90 days just for closure's sake.

Dan

Helpful Tips

Coping With Anxiety & HIV Worry
Is HIV anxiety keeping you up at night? Are you finding yourself questioning every random act as an HIV risk? Don't let anxiety steal your ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 36 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.