Skip to content
Scared to death
dagi1975 posted:
Dear Dr.

4 weeks ago I had sex with my ex girlfriend from 10 years ago. Most of it was protected, but there was like 3 minutes or so unprotected vaginal sex. Last saturday night i felt two lymph nodes on my left side of neck swollen and i went to family dr on monday. She prescribed me antibiotics and said nothing to worry about and this is very common. I had no fever, no other symptoms at all. I have been using antibiotics for 24 hours and lymph nodes feels much smaller today and not sensitive to touch anymore, however i am scared to death and can not even sleep at all. Do you see this as a sign of anything bad? Please answer because i feel scared to death.

emandino responded:
Oh my! I'm no doctor, but one of those surviving dinasours that turned 50 y/o 1.5 months ago, in a hybryd relationship for the last 10, my partner remains Negative and have been living with HIV longer than without. I can believe it my self! I learn anything from this exchange, please remember that the Virus which causes HIV requires 24/7 uninterrupted hosting. Ask yourself the following question: during those 3 minutes; did you 2 exchanged any bodily fluids (blood, semen, vaginal secretions or breast milk) internally? If the answer to the question is No, well, there's your answer. Besides, if it were HIV, it's too soon to tell.

dagi1975 replied to emandino's response:
I mean, there was no blood at all, but i was in her for about three minutes unprotected. Do you think i am overreacting because of couple lymph nodes, but nothing else? Thanks for your answer by the way...

georgiagail replied to dagi1975's response:
So...is the ex girlfriend even HIV positive???

Insertive (you), unprotected, penile-vaginal intercourse carries an ESTIMATED risk of 5 per 10,000 exposures with a source KNOWN to carry the virus.

Keep this is mind...

It does not appear you are aware of the ex-girlfriends status; thus, your risk would be even lower than that listed above.

We do not attempt to diagnose HIV by symptoms. If you remain concerned, get a screening test at the 90 day mark.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Keep having Hope and faith, never give up and be positive
Hi, I would like to share my story. I've been HIV positive for 13 years and have been on MPWHerpes.com to meet my future husband. Well 24th ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.