Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Mono for sure?
An_245100 posted:
My doctor diagnosed me with mono about a month ago. I had a lot of the symptoms where i just felt awful and i had swollen lymph glands in my neck. I found it weird that i never got the sore throat. And that seemed to be a major indicator, which got me worrying. I read on the internet that mono and HIV had the same similar symptoms and is often misdiagnosed as mono, that scared me. I haven't had unprotected sex but the guy did play around like that but i never didn't use a condom. Does any one have any answers that might put my mind at ease. I know i should just go get tested but i was hoping for a solution first?

Nieciedo responded:
If you didn't have unprotected sex, then there was no risk for HIV.

While mononucleosis often does include a sore throat, it doesn't have to.

Mono is vastly more easy to transmit than HIV, and since you were never apparently at risk for HIV I don't see any reason to assume that you have it. I would trust your doctor and accept that it is mono.

Dan

bamafan18 replied to Nieciedo's response:
Thank you Dan. I didn't really know how to explain when i said he played around. wht i meant was tht he would stick it in and i would say no and then id pull it out. got tired of tht after a few months and we are not together anymore to say the least.

Nieciedo replied to bamafan18's response:
The risk from that kind of activity is practically nil. It's not a good idea, since it's easier to pass on other diseases like herpes or gonorrhea, but it's not a realistic risk for HIV.

Dan

Helpful Tips

Encouragement for those who are worried
I gained a lot of reassurance reading this board over the last week and I just wanted to post my own experience to hopefully ease the minds ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.