Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Should I get tested again?
An_245206 posted:
Hi everyone,

So I just had an HIV test, the rapid result one, three days ago and the result was negative. However, now I am getting sick, with symptoms of a cold ie: headache, sore throat, dry cough sometimes; I also have had a change in appetite that I am never hungry. I'm wondering if it's possible that the antibodies are just now showing up or something? Should I get tested again?

I don't know for sure if my ex had HIV, seeing as he went literally insane and is now in jail and I refuse to contact him, but the last encounter we had was around April 2. He called and left a message saying to get tested, didn't say for what, and it is very possible that he is doing this just to mess with me, but I want to make sure. So I was tested within the usual month long window period and got a negative, but it could be possible that it would take longer to show up right?

Nieciedo responded:
A negative result at 30 days after a possibly risky exposure is a very good indication of your status. The odds of your status changing with a test at 90 days are extremely low. Moreover, HIV cannot be diagnosed by symptoms so you'd be better off ignoring them.

We can't rea your ex's mind so we don't know what he meant or if he's being serious. For your own peace of mind, have another test done on or after July 1. It will give you a conclusive result and the odds are totally in your favor that it will confirm your negative results.

Dan

yescynthia replied to Nieciedo's response:
OK, thanks for your reply! I'm hoping I'm just sick because of stress from other things. Crossing my fingers.

Helpful Tips

Coping With Anxiety & HIV Worry
Is HIV anxiety keeping you up at night? Are you finding yourself questioning every random act as an HIV risk? Don't let anxiety steal your ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.