Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Rare HIV-2 Question
Worrierkt25 posted:
Hi all. I recently posted about a rapid HIV test I had done at planned parenthood. I realize I may be paranoid... But I just want to ask one more question. I wasn't sure if the test I had done tested me for both HIV1 and HIV2. The lady told me I had nothing to worry about when she gave me the results and told me no further testing is necessary as I had waited over a year to be tested. It wasn't until after I came home that I started questioning the test. I know there are tests that don't pick up HIV-2 so IF it didn't do I need to go for further testing? I'm paranoid because my husband and I want to start trying to have another baby soon. Thanks everyone

David J Malebranche, MD, MPH responded:
Hello,

Most of the tests out there do test for both HIV1 and HIV2, so you need not worry. If you are concerned and want to confirm, just call back the place you got tested and ask them the specific question. There are tests that don't do both, but most places have it standardized to have tests that are sensitive to both for that very reason.

David

Worrierkt25 replied to David J Malebranche, MD, MPH's response:
Thanks David. here's why I've been concerned about HIV-2. How do we know how rare it is in the US if some HIV-1 antibody tests show positive when it's really HIV-2 infection? I know they don't always do further testing to differentiate the strain since they say HIV-2 is so rare. Does this question make sense???Are there people living with HIV-2 misdiagnosed as being HIV-1 positive?

Helpful Tips

Keep having Hope and faith, never give up and be positive
Hi, I would like to share my story. I've been HIV positive for 13 years and have been on MPWHerpes.com to meet my future husband. Well 24th ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.