Skip to content
WASTEING SYNDROME ...
soulmte posted:
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN 2 ME WHAT EXACTLY IS "WASTEING SYNDROME" ?????
I HAVE A BASIC KNOWLEDGE OF IT , BUT INM CURIOUS IN THE AMOUNT OF TIME IT OCCURS & A BRIEF BREAKDOWN ON THE SUBJECT ... ALSO WHERE ON THIS SITE GIVE U A MORE IN-DEPTH EXPLAINATION ON HIV SYMPTONS .....
THANK U !!!!!

georgiagail responded:
A good description of the Wasting Syndrome in HIV/AIDS:

http://www.thebody.com/content/art6127.html

Keep in mind that we do not attempt to diagnose HIV by symptoms because, quite frankly, there are none until the disease has progressed fairly far along. The initial stage of HIV known as ARS occurs two to six weeks after transmission and presents as flu like symptoms that last for a couple of weeks.

After that HIV often has no symptoms for many years. It is not until the immune system has been severely damaged by this virus that someone begins to see symptoms that can include weight loss, changes in GI function, specific types of pneumonia, etc.. On average, this takes about a decade in an untreated individual.

Telling folks this does not stop many from checking the internet for symptoms and assuming that every change in their body MUST mean they are infected. In reality, many who go on to get tested are surprised to find that they are not infected.

The only way to know ones status is to get tested; HIV screening tests are not difficult to undertake and many places use rapid tests where results are available in 20 minutes.

Gail

soulmte replied to georgiagail's response:
thanks 4 the info , but u really didnt explain the wasting syndrome at all !!!

soulmte replied to soulmte's response:
georgiagail ...
please forgive me ... i just realized u supplied me with a link ... i just read it !!! thanks sooo much 4 the info !!!!!

Helpful Tips

Coping With Anxiety & HIV Worry
Is HIV anxiety keeping you up at night? Are you finding yourself questioning every random act as an HIV risk? Don't let anxiety steal your ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.