Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Level of Risk/Suggested Steps
An_245783 posted:
Hello,

I am writing re: a risky encounter I had about 3 weeks ago to get advice on the level of risk and suggested steps. I was very intoxicated and had oral and vaginal sex with a sexworker. I believe a condom was used the entire time, and I believe that the encounter was brief (15 mins or so). I also believe that the vaginal sex was at most a few minutes. I remember having a condom on during oral sex, but do not remember if it was on during vaginal sex. I would imagine it was since she took the steps to put a condom on me prior to oral sex. Also, I do not know the STD status of the sexworker.

My questions are: How risky does this encounter sound? Should I be concerned enough about HIV to get tested? Should I be concerned with other STDs? (I haven't had any symptoms)

I do know that for HIV the risk is about 1 in 2000 for your typical M->F encounter and that there's no sense in chasing symptoms.

The catch here is that I have a gf and telling her would absolutely crush her and destroy our relationship. I want to avoid this outcome, but also want to be safe. I feel terrible about this - any candid and objective advice would be appreciated.

Thank You

georgiagail responded:
If the condom was used for the vaginal intercourse...and was used accurately, and did not break or tear....even assuming the sex worker was infected, she could not have passed the virus on to you during that encounter.

From your description of the sex worker putting on the condom prior to her performing oral sex on you it would imply that she was quite concerned about picking up something you might have had onto her. Therefore, it stands to reason that she would make sure that a condom was used during the vaginal intercourse.

Gail

okyzez replied to georgiagail's response:
Thank you for your response. One follow up: is the risk here high enough that I get tested?

georgiagail replied to okyzez's response:
Since we are unaware if there even is a risk (i.e., if the vaginal intercourse was unprotected) whether you wish to get tested might largely be determined by how concerned you are over the entire event.....and will you always "wonder" about status if you don't get tested.

Screening tests are quite easy; many places use rapid testing where results are available in 20 minutes.

Gail

Helpful Tips

A few words of advice that you can choose to take to heart
Just get tested every six months if you plan on, or a regular practitioner of unsafe sex. Since Six months is the final window period after ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 24 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.