Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Scared dad!!
Scareddad1 posted:
6weeks ago I had very short like maybe 7or8 minutes of unprotected sex with a girl I don't know very well. I asked her if she had anything and she told me she had never had anything more than bv. I have absolutely worried myself sick over possible infection of HIV . Considering I am married and a new dad I am freaking out even harder. Just to clarify, my wife and I had separated for a week, and then decided to work it out, not that that matters. I since then have done the horrible thing of over researching the Internet. And have caused myself to have horrible anxiety. I feel week and tired and get headaches since then, but i have had these feelings before then as i have asthma and allergies, and take albuterol. But since then have tied them to an upset stomach and feeling hot a lot. Am I just over reacting due to guilt ? Or anxiety? I have had no fever, trust me I check constantly, and no rash, and the only time my throat hurts is when I read symptoms online. PLEASE. HELP !!!!

Scareddad1 responded:
One more thing, my stomach has been in knots sice then. By the way I am not asking for a diagnosis, but to know if I am freaking out waaaaay too much, and if I could possibly be showing symptoms of ars

georgiagail replied to Scareddad1's response:
The first stage of HIV (known as ARS) is described at "flu like" symptoms.

This does not include knots in your stomach. Thus, this symptom has more to do with worry and guilt than with any symptom connected to HIV.

Gail

Scareddad1 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thank you Gail. But what about all the symptoms from the original post, ie, the constant feeling of being hot , the fatigue and headaches, the mild nausea , ? I feel hopeless and overwhelmed thinking I have done something to jeapordize taking care of my daughter or my wife's health nd ability to take care of our daughter. Thank you again, and thank you in advance if you reply again.

elle0317 replied to Scareddad1's response:
All of these are symptoms of anxiety/stress.

georgiagail replied to elle0317's response:
And guilt. Stop reading about symptoms on the internet and if you remained concerned, get a screening test at the 3 month mark.

Gail

Thanks Gail and Elle 0317 I'm trying to not read about this. Does the short length of time I was with the girl (7or8 minutes tops) and the fact that there was no ejaculation, and that I am circumsized reduce my risk if she was positive? And would you say I can try to relax about this? And try to put it behind me?

Seven or eight minutes of intercourse isn't exactly short. Seven or eight seconds; yes.

Your real risk is all dependant on the status of your partner in that event. If she does not have the virus she cannot, of course, pass this onto you.

Gail

Thanks again Gail for responding, I was actually starting to relax, but now after hearing 7minutes is not short , I am kinda freaking out again. Should I relax ? Or should I be VERY concered ? I really appreciate you and this site. I think it does wonders for people from what I have read. Also can you recommend any way to relax and deal with the stress so I can figure out if my symptoms are from stressing and being a hypochondriac or fom any sort of ral illnes wether it be HIV or something else.?

It would seem the smartest thing would be to have that partner get tested to know her status.

Gail

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 38 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.