Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Need realistic estimated risk
An_246162 posted:
Hello all,

I'm hoping someone can give me a realistic and accurate idea of my estimated risk.

I'm a typically healthy, 24 yr. old female. I made a stupid decision after drinking and had vaginal intercourse with a man whose HIV status is unknown to me. I'm on the pill, but cannot remember how/if a condom was used.I believe a condom was used during at least part of the intercourse. This was approximately 6 months ago. I have not had any sexual partners since this incident.

So, my question is...what is my estimated risk for contracting HIV from this one time vaginal intercourse? (This was the first and only time that I (may have) had unprotected sex.)

From what I've been able to find online, my risk would not be very high but I would like a realistic idea...there were alot of different statistics out there.

Also, I read about people experiencing "flu like" symptoms after contracting HIV. When would this take place? Within a few days or more like a few weeks?

Thank you for your help.

georgiagail responded:
The estimated risk for unprotected receptive (that's you) penile-vaginal intercourse with a source KNOWN to carry the virus is 10 per 10,000 exposures.

Your risk would be less because 1. you cannot confirm your partners status and 2. there may have been a condom used.

The flu like symptoms (called ARS) occurs two to six weeks after transmission and like the regular flu, lasts a couple of weeks.

Gail

An_246162 replied to georgiagail's response:
Gail, Thank you very much for your quick reply. It is greatly appreciated! It's comforting to hear that my risk is relatively low. My annual exam is in Sept. Should I get tested before then?

georgiagail replied to An_246162's response:
If you are not currently sexually active and (worse case scenario) you are HIV positive, you could not, of course, pass the virus on to someone else.

Whether you feel you need to get tested now or wait until September is often dependent on how worried you are regarding your status.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Encouragement for those who are worried
I gained a lot of reassurance reading this board over the last week and I just wanted to post my own experience to hopefully ease the minds ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.