Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Infected saliva
Anon_41414 posted:
We had a large company lunch today for the boss' bday. I was sat in front of this guy who works at our company who's definitely the most un-hygenical person at our work. He complained about a tooth ache and explained that he felt he felt he had food lodged behind his wisdom tooth. After finishing my lunch, my mouth lining was a bit roughed up because I ordered the reuben sandwich which can be tough on the mouth. I am a bit worried that, since we were all talking and mingling, my coworker's mouth could have easily been bleeding (my mouth bleeds a lot of times when I have food stuck in my teeth, not to mention what's going on w/ his wisdom teeth, he' s in his mid 20's) So his mouth was probably bleeding slightly. My mouth probably had small cuts bc of the tough bread and it did feel rough after I finished. The guy actually stuck his finger in his mouth at one point and then dried it w/a paper towel he grabbed from the table. I later grabbed a paper towel from the same roll and we all shared chips and salsa for the table. I am a bit worried that maybe somewhere between all this, a particle of blood from his mouth could've gotten on the chips when he grabbed some, on the paper towel roll, or even on my sandwich as sometimes ppl spit when they talk. A lot of 'could ofs'... But is it possible that if this man has HIV or HEP C I could've somehow gotten some of his blood in my mouth which my gums were torn up a bit bc of the sandwich? Do I need testing?

JohnSmith268 responded:
No you do not what so ever. HIV is an STD but on other occurrences, it happens through mother to child birth, and breast feeding and very rarely blood transfusions.

HIV dies outside of the body as it needs the bodies temperature and lack of light/oxygen to survive. It's completely wiped out within a couple of minutes of being exposed outside of the body.

What you have described does not compromise your negative HIV status in any way.

Have a nice night/day, you have no need to test as you had no risk:)

georgiagail responded:
As previously mentioned, this event was not a risk for you.

1. You have no idea if his mouth was bleeding.

2. You have no idea if your mouth was bleeding (a "rough" mouth is not the same as a bleeding one).

3. Simply using a paper towel from the same roll another person did does not transmit the virus (even assuming this person is HIV or HEP C positive).

4. You have no idea of this persons status regarding these diseases.

5. Talking to someone, even someone who is HIV or HEP C positive is not a risk factor for transmission of either of these viruses. If it were, we'd all be infected. Having unprotected sex or sharing of IV drug needles with them is.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Coping With Anxiety & HIV Worry
Is HIV anxiety keeping you up at night? Are you finding yourself questioning every random act as an HIV risk? Don't let anxiety steal your ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.