Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Mental therapy for HIV phobia
Anon_41414 posted:
Hi,

I've posted a couple times in this forum w/ concerns about HIV transmission. I've been worrying excessively about HIV and HEP C for several years now after an incident that happened over 5 years ago. I've tested myself about once a year and have come up negative every time. A lot of daily activities that 99% of ppl wouldn't think twice about, I get scared that I have contracted something. Sometimes, the fear goes away for weeks but then other times I could go for months being paranoid and it has affected my work and other aspects of life. People close to me have suggested I need therapy. Fortunately, I now have the time and money to seek help but don't know where to find it. Where can I find a therapist who can help me with this? Who do I look for? I live in San Antonio TX.

georgiagail responded:
It sounds like your fears are based on anxiety. It would then make sense to find a therapist who provides behavioral counseling for any type of anxiety. I

It does not need to be someone who specializes only in anxiety over HIV and Hepatitis C as the symptoms (and treatment) for anxiety disorders often involve the same behavioral therapy.

Gail

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Good for you for seeking help for this now. Gail's response hit the mark.

You may also want to repost on our Anxiety and Panic Community .
We never touch people so lightly that we do not leave a trace. ~Peggy Tabor Millin

Helpful Tips

A few words of advice that you can choose to take to heart
Just get tested every six months if you plan on, or a regular practitioner of unsafe sex. Since Six months is the final window period after ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 24 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.