Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Need reassurance - possible contraction HIV?
An_246708 posted:
Hello, I'd like to preface this by saying I'm completely aware my risk for ever contracting HIV in the following manner is very very slim. But I'm a worrier.

A few days ago, my roommate had a female friend over. They both happened to be on their periods, and I went to use the restroom about 5 minutes after my roommate's friend did. I noticed two small spots of blood on the seat, one that appeared dried and one that did not. I wet some toilet paper and wiped them off the seat until they were no longer visible, then used dry toilet paper to dry off the seat ( I never used soap or a disinfectant). I then used the restroom and sat on the toilet seat.

I have been very paranoid and thinking I could somehow get HIV now. I even told my roommate what happened and asked if her friend had HIV or any sort of disease, and she told me both of them were disease free, but you never know with people these days. My roommate comes from an affluent community (I think) and this was the first time I had met her friend (we are all 18-19 and in college).

I had no cuts on my buttocks or thighs (I checked). Just looking for a medical doctor to provide me with some reassurance. Thank you!

georgiagail responded:
It would be impossible for you to pick up HIV (even assuming both your roommate and her friend were HIV positive) from this event.

Your risk of contacting HIV from what you describe is not very, very slim. It is impossible. Please stop worrying about this.

Gail

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.