Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Scared and lonely
Mkxoxo3 posted:
I'm really scared I may have contracted HIV from a 1 night stand about 4 weeks back. I tested at the 4 week test but my Dr urged to get tested again at 3 and then 6 months. I'm just feeling really alone and scared and could really use someone to talk to. My family is in denial I may have this and keep telling me I'm crazy and I want to believe that but deep down I feel like something is wrong. The guy I slept with changed his number AND moved since I mentioned it. Why would he do that if he had nothing to hide? Symptoms I've been having are pretty dead on. Flu like symptoms. Lots of nuesea but no throwing up. Weird rash I've never had before. Dr said its folliculitis. Tired. Muscle aches. So pretty much everything. I'm terrified. I'm a single mom and I can't stop thinking about death and dying before I see my girls grow up. If anyone would be kind enough to email back and forth I would appreciate that more than anything. This sense of loneliness is really overwhelming me.

georgiagail responded:
An HIV screening test 4 weeks after a potential exposure is considered to be 95 percent accurate; that is, 95 percent of newly infected folks will have enough antibodies present to be picked up by current testing methods.

Therefore, your negative test result at 4 weeks provides significant evidence that no, this event did NOT leave you infected.

There is no need for you to test at 6 months. Your physician was incorrect in telling you this. The accuracy of a 3 month test is 99.9 percent.

Folks change their number and move for a wide variety of reasons. It's not unusual to never hear from a partner after a one night stand.

It's very likely your symptoms of fatigue and muscle aches have far more to do with worry and anxiety and, yes, terror than anything else. Many who worry about a disease they do not have experience the very same symptoms.

Take some comfort in realizing the accuracy of your 4 week test. It is highly unusual that someone tests negative at 4 weeks and positive at 3 months.

Gail

Mkxoxo3 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thanks for the response Gail. I'm holding on to some hope but my mind won't rest like most people going through this. Just never thought I would find myself in this situation. Holding onto hope until I get tested again

WERD123 responded:
you are having what I had. its called anxiety it will make u sick and can make you have a rash and feel rundown

Helpful Tips

Coping With Anxiety & HIV Worry
Is HIV anxiety keeping you up at night? Are you finding yourself questioning every random act as an HIV risk? Don't let anxiety steal your ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.