Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
rarity of second indeterminate western blot test?
conined posted:
hello all,

I recently went to MEPS(military entrance processing station) in the hopes of joining the Navy. Well, about 2 weeks later I got a letter in the mail saying I had to come back. Upon conferring with the doctor there I found out my HIV test came back "indeterminate", positive ELISA( I think thats what it is called) with an indeterminate western blot.
That day they took another sample and I am waiting to here back from them.

I am already 99.9999% certain that I do not have HIV as I live a very low risk lifestyle. My concern is that this second test will come back with an "indeterminate" result like the first. When this happens you must wait six months for them to do it again. If it comes back indeterminate that time you are essentially disqualified.

I am curious as to the rarity of multiple indeterminate tests. Also, around the time of my first test I was getting over some sort of illness(really nasty sore throat, that was not strep), and was wondering if this could through off the test?

Thank you

An_256410 responded:
Did you ever find an answer? I'm in the same situation you were in.

conined replied to An_256410's response:
I got retested, and the response came back negative. Hopefully it all works out for you, I know how stressful it can be.

Helpful Tips

Coping With Anxiety & HIV Worry
Is HIV anxiety keeping you up at night? Are you finding yourself questioning every random act as an HIV risk? Don't let anxiety steal your ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.