Very Paranoid, would like a good opinion.
thatguy22 posted:
I like many people on here am very paranoid about HIV. I always try to be safe and protect myself but somehow something always seems to happen/go wrong to make me worry about potentially having HIV. I was dating a girl who had an ex boyfriend who used intravenous drugs, she said she herself had also tried it once. Before we had sex we both confirmed that we had been tested and were both clean, only verbally, no actual written proof. We dated for about 3 or 4 months and had always used condoms, a couple times I would wash up afterwards as well. We didn't really even have sex that often, I would say maybe 8 times in that period (long distance relationship.) The first time we had sex though the condom I was using slipped off for about a minute or two, and a couple days before that I had a little bit of jean burn on my penis, it was in the process of healing at the time of this incident. My concern is that she was either lying about being tested or was tested too early for proper diagnosis and that I could have potentially contracted the virus because of this incident. I haven't had one symptom, I haven't even been sick in over a year (nothing more than minor allergies) since we parted ways, but in this time period since the incident I have tortured myself and almost fully convinced myself that I have the virus. I tried to get tested but my health insurance only covered one test for the year and that was the test I had before her and I had sex, my insurance completely ran out shortly after. Since then I have found a free health clinic but at this point I am so nervous/freaked out I'm not sure I even want to know what the result is, whether it be positive or negative, and the free clinic uses the mouth swab so I'm not really sure how accurate that is in its diagnosis. If anyone could help me out, give me a professional opinion, that would be great.

georgiagail responded:
Oral tests for HIV are quite accurate and many clinics use this type of testing.

Since you remain so worried about HIV, get tested. Your negative test result should go far to put this fear of HIV behind you.

Gail

thatguy22 replied to georgiagail's response:
Should I be worried that it may not be a negative result?

georgiagail replied to thatguy22's response:
Not really.

Keep in mind that the risk from using intravenous drugs is NOT the drug use itself but rather the sharing of IV drug needles. If one shares a needle/syringe with someone who has the virus, the risk is that some of the infected persons blood may remain in the bore of the needle/the syringe and be injected into the next person who uses this.

If one uses needle-injection only on themselves (no sharing), there is no risk.

However, also keep in mind it that it is NOT a 100 percent guarantee that needle sharing will cause one to become HIV positive. The ESTIMATED per-act risk for acquisition of HIV from needle-sharing injection-drug use is 67 per 10,000 exposures with a source KNOWN to carry the virus.

When one has reached the point where, as you describe it, they are torturing themselves worrying they are HIV positive, the obvious thing to do is to go get tested. The VAST (and I do mean VAST) majority of folks who post here absolutely convinced they must be positive are quite shocked to learn through testing that they are actually HIV negative.

Gail

Well I honestly have no way of knowing whether or not he shared or they shared with each other, I just regret I was dumb enough to even put myself in that situation. All I know for sure is that I had one quick slip up but used condoms with no problems from that point on and I haven't had one symptom or even any sort of sickness since the incident. I'm scheduling an appointment, and I'm hoping everything works out.

Please let us know the test result. It will be negative (I am sure of this).

Gail

Just got back, negative, thank God. Thank you so much for your words of encouragement, I honestly think I would have gone another year stressing if it hadn't been for this site. It is a blessing to have someone like you available for help when situations like this arise.

Congratulations on your test result! Celebrate with lots of chocolate!

Gail