Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Concerned with questions
An_246921 posted:
I had unprotected anal sex (received) with someone I do not know well and now he is not replying to emails and I am stressing out. This took place 5 weeks ago. Anyway, I am not sure I am symptoms of early infection because they are so general- example- what does joint pain mean and is it all joints or can it be just one or two? I have not had a fever not do I think I have swollen glands but I do have seasonal allergies and they have been horrible the past couple of weeks - but so have other folks I know. The last 3 days I have had a little nausea - no vomiting- but no appetite at breakfast and not much at lunch but when I go home I eat pretty much a regular dinner. I do have some leg fatigue but I also suffer from lumbar stenosis and it has been bad the last month. Anyway, I am very concerned and looking for some thoughts. I know you do not diagnose HIV by symptoms, but I was wondering what you might think. Also, how accurate can an HIV blood test be at the 5 week mark. I read different things. Thanks

georgiagail responded:
An HIV screening test done five weeks after a possible exposure would give you a very good idea of your status.

The most common HIV screening tests look for antibodies the immune system begins to produce after transmission. By 1 month after transmission, the estimate is that 95 percent of newly infected folks will have enough antibodies present to be picked up by current testing methods. By 90 days this percentage has increased to 99.9 percent.

Thus, a five week test would give you a very good idea of your status. It would be highly unusual that someone would test negative at five weeks and positive at 90 days.

Since you are stressing out over this, consider taking a screening test now, followed up by one at 3 months.

Gail

Helpful Tips

A few words of advice that you can choose to take to heart
Just get tested every six months if you plan on, or a regular practitioner of unsafe sex. Since Six months is the final window period after ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 24 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.