Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Ars Symtoms High Exposure
An_247409 posted:
I am a 20 year old female with what I suspect to be Genital Herpes (haven't been tested but it's textbook signs, I also have HPV) I met a guy who I do not know his blood status. We went to a party where he got into a fight, mouth got all bloody and cut up. Well 2 days later, we got drunk and he performed oral on me there was no visible blood, and there was it no sex. I was also making out with him. I had had a little tickle or itch down there and that normally means im about to have a little lesion. Well this was July 28th. A while after that i had gotten a little itchy ears and sore throat but that lasted like 4 days tops. Then, I woke up a couple days after that and my upper right back, my neck and my right arm including armpit were so sore and stayed that way for almost 2 weeks. Then around August 8th, My back had started hurting horribly. I thought this just to be my period since i was about to start. Then around 2-3 weeks I got REALLY bad back pain along with upper thigh pain behind the legs, chills, night sweats, fatigue nausea, no appetite and my hands and feet kind of felt like they were on fire I also had diarrhea, which has not subsided. I haven't really had too high of a fever I dont think I've just been getting "hot rushes" and felt feverish I havent had any rashes, but i am itchy all over. I went and got a rapid HIV from planned parenthood and that came back negative, but that was only after 23 days, I am now writing on the 25th day. I know for a fact that the test was a Uni-Gold 3rd generation. the 25th I did go to the hospital because I didnt eat for 2 days I thought maybe i had mono....but my blood results came back and my WBC was normal my doc said none of my lymph nodes were swollen and he said all my blood results were normal. He did not run an HIV and I didnt get the results from my mono back because they only did them mon wed and fri but they didnt call me back so i guess it was neg. a couple days have passed, and I am still experiencing groin/inner though/joint pain/lower back pain. I have eaten maybe 4 times in about 5 days and that was because I forced myself to eat and orange and yogurt. I also have noticed that the sides of my tongue have developed kind of white ridges and I have white spots all over the back and sides of my tong. I have been told numerous times that oral sex does not transmit HIV, but I mean no one wants to make themselves think they have HIV, so I dont think it's my anxiety or stress. I think about it non-stop. All day. I have even started having HIV dreams. Today marks the 30th day after I received oral, no sex no anything else, also I was tested negative for everything else before this from a pap. It just really doesn't look good for me I also just noticed this red non itchy dark red bump on my arm. I have been told that oral sex is not a transmission for hiv but, i dont believe it. Especially if my partner had wounds in his mouth from a fight and I had maybe a herpes lesion.

georgiagail responded:
Even assuming your partner was HIV positive, a cut on the mouth done two days prior to performing oral sex on you was not an opening bleeding wound (I'm assuming he wasn't still bleeding from the fight two days previously). Even if HIV positive, his saliva would not contain the virus. And a sealed wound in the mouth is not a risk for transmission.

Since you think about HIV non-stop, I suspect that a fair amount of your symptoms are directly due to both anxiety and stress. For example, it appears you've already diagnosed yourself with oral thrush, a side effect of HIV that does not occur in the early stages of the disease.

The symptoms of ARS are described as "flu like"; this does not include back pain, hot hands or feet, nor a red bump on your arm. It does sound as if you're so worried about HIV and so convinced you must be infected that every perceived change in your body convinces you further regarding your status. Your anxiety over this may be the reason for your diarrhea.

Keep in mind that while a 23 day test cannot be considered conclusive as to ones status, roughly 95 percent of newly infected folks will have enough antibodies present to be picked up by current testing methods at around day 25. Thus, the odds are very, very much in your favor regarding a negative status from this event.

Gail

AlmostCertain replied to georgiagail's response:
Yeah I get that, but it all hit me at once over night, and now I have a severely sore throat. I am an extremely healthy person other wise and from my understanding health has nothing to do with viral replication. I am going to get a rapid test today with it being 30 days after my exposure, you think if all these symptoms were from ARS, it would test positive by this time?

georgiagail replied to AlmostCertain's response:
Again, the accuracy rate of a test taken 30 days after a potential exposure would be a bit over 95 percent.

The recommended time period for testing is 90 days after a potential exposure; however, it would be highly unusual that someone would test negative at one month and positive at 3 months.

Gail

AlmostCertain replied to georgiagail's response:
When I spoke with my doctor/nurse, they seem to say the complete opposite, that it is a real risk and completely a possible transmission. They also told me that it would not show up in my blood before 3 months. Also, I used a 3rd generation rapid test, it's not like the 4th generation ones, for the 5th generation ones, those detect the antibody and the antigen which I'm pretty sure is what you're referring to.

AlmostCertain replied to AlmostCertain's response:
I definitely did not mean 5th generation ones, sorry.

georgiagail replied to AlmostCertain's response:
What you were told was inaccurate information. Oral sex (both providing and receiving) carries a very, very low rate of transmission; so low that many people do not test after this type of sexual contact. In order for HIV transmission to occur,the virus must, somehow, be able to actually enter the body through bodily fluids (i,e., blood or sexual fluids) that would contain the virus.

Your partner got into a fight and got his mouth all cut up two days before the oral sex. He would not have still been bleeding at the time of the oral sex. A sealed cut/wound is not an open portal into the body and (even assuming he was HIV positive), his saliva would not contain the virus.

You assume (but have never been tested) that you have genital herpes and, at the time of the oral sex had a little tickle or itch in that area but cannot confirm that there was an open lesion at the time of the oral sex.

The biggest factor is that you have no knowledge of your partners status. You are assuming he is HIV positive while, statistically, it is far more likely that he is not.

What you are told in regards to the antibodies not showing up in your blood before three months is also inaccurate.

What is happening is that you have now convinced yourself that you must be HIV positive based on both lack of accurate information (i.e., not knowing your partners status) and fear from the inaccurate medical advice you were provided...toss this in with perhaps reading about symptoms over the internet and it is easy to self-diagnose oneself (happens ALL the time on this site) regarding a disease that you have very little chance of even being infected with.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Keep having Hope and faith, never give up and be positive
Hi, I would like to share my story. I've been HIV positive for 13 years and have been on MPWHerpes.com to meet my future husband. Well 24th ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.