Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Smudged blood from mosquito
Anon_41414 posted:
I was at a birthday party yesterday evening where we were having drinks at a bar patio. I live in TX and the weather has been humid and miserable and the mosquitos were literally eating everyone alive last night. A few minutes before I left, I scratched my arm and felt this disgusting blood on my hand. I killed a mosquito which had blood on it and some blood smeared on my fingers. It was on two of my fingers from my left hand and I saw a few drops of blood on my arm. When I got home, I immediately changed into a pair of swim trunks and walked into the pool at my apartment complex because I felt that would be the best way to disinfect everything. I did notice that there was a mosquito bite right around the area I squashed it so I'm hoping it was my own blood but there was tons of people in that patio so I'm not sure. I'm a little worried about the risk but I am sure I made it a point not to touch my mouth, eyes, or nose. One thing though, is that about an hour later or two I flossed and my gums always slightly bleed and the floss was wrapped around my fingers which had the blood earlier. My hands looked clean when I came out of the pool, and I also washed my hands after the pool( not before bc I felt the pool was safer) and I know HIV dies fast but what about HEP C? I hear that can survive for days outside the body. This morning I actually freaked out a bit because I picked my nose about 20 minutes after shaking some peoples' hands who work outside in construction and being that there's mosquitos everywhere these last few days, maybe they could've had blood on their hands the way I did last night. My nose didn't bleed but it's been irritated lately with what I think is a pimple or ingrown hair or something. Well, sorry to make this long. I guess I'm a little less worried about HIV in this case but more about HEP C. Am I at risk for anything?

georgiagail responded:
No; you are not at risk for either HIV or Hepatitis C from these events.

Gail

georgiagail responded:
This may help ease your fears...

http://hepatitis.about.com/od/prevention/a/mosquitoes.htm

Gail

Anon_41414 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thanks for the info, Gail. I'm not as worried about the mosquitos infecting me with HEP C as much as I'm worried about traces of blood getting into my mouth, nose, eyes etc. during daily activities. I = feel I need to be extra careful touching my clothes I wore that day, the steering wheel of the car, my sunglasses etc. being that HEP C can survive outside the body for days.

Am I correct or am I being overly cautious for no reason?

georgiagail replied to Anon_41414's response:
You are being far too overly cautious.

Like HIV, Hepatitis C must actually enter body tissues for transmission to take place. This is typically done through sharing of IV drug needles where the blood of an infected individual is directly injected into the tissues/blood of the uninfected person.

One could...literally...drink the blood of an Hep C infected individual (or one with HIV for that matter) and this would not cause either of these viruses to be passed on to them.

In addition, it's highly unlikely that a Hepatitis C positive person is bleeding all over your clothes, your sunglasses or the steering wheel of your car.

Gail

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.