Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Anxiety of HIV
Anon_136251 posted:
I always seem to think I have HIV whenever I have a sore throat or cold sore on my inner lips. I had an HIV test (neg) after 3 months of an exposure that I'm not sure happened. It was protected intercourse with ejaculation and a few moments of non protected without ejaculation. Right now I had a sore throat that hurts to swallow, no other symptoms besides sneezing and throat congestion. I'm afraid it might be bacterial infection and always go straight to HIV. I dont know the person's status but I always go straight to HIV with any symptom I develop. It's really ruining my life.

georgiagail responded:
HIV is a viral, not bacterial disease. Having a cold sore is an indication that one has the very, very common virus HSV, not HIV.

If the fear of HIV is ruining your life it may be time for some counseling to put this disease in perspective. It's actually one of the most difficult STD's to pick up.

Your three month test clearly shows that these few moments of non protected intercourse did not leave you infected.

Gail

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.