Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Anxiety of HIV
    Anon_136251 posted:
    I always seem to think I have HIV whenever I have a sore throat or cold sore on my inner lips. I had an HIV test (neg) after 3 months of an exposure that I'm not sure happened. It was protected intercourse with ejaculation and a few moments of non protected without ejaculation. Right now I had a sore throat that hurts to swallow, no other symptoms besides sneezing and throat congestion. I'm afraid it might be bacterial infection and always go straight to HIV. I dont know the person's status but I always go straight to HIV with any symptom I develop. It's really ruining my life.

georgiagail responded:
    HIV is a viral, not bacterial disease. Having a cold sore is an indication that one has the very, very common virus HSV, not HIV.

If the fear of HIV is ruining your life it may be time for some counseling to put this disease in perspective. It's actually one of the most difficult STD's to pick up.

Your three month test clearly shows that these few moments of non protected intercourse did not leave you infected.

Gail

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
    Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    27 of 40 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.