Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Just some quick questions, Please help
An_247686 posted:
I've begun to see somebody with health issues, things out of his or her control but not sexually related. Because of this, I've been thinking about getting tested for STDs (STIs? What's the term, now?). I am technically a virgin in that I haven't engaged in sexual intercourse (I've had my opportunities, but didn't care enough about the other person(s) involved and ducked out). My sexual experience boils down to receiving oral sex (unprotected, 3 partners in my life) and basically just making out. I do not ever recall blood being involved in any way, no bites, no nothing.

As for the person I'm now seeing, I just want to be entirely certain that I cannot make their life any more complicated if I do sleep with him or her. Based on my limited sexual experience, is it even necessary for me to be worried and get tested? Do I need to go through HIV and other STI testing in order to feel comfortable?

Thank you for your answers and I hope to have my fears calmed, but please be honest.

georgiagail responded:
Unprotected oral sex carries an estimated risk for HIV of .5 to 1 per 10,000 exposures with a source KNOWN to carry the virus.

Your risk would be even less since you cannot confirm your partners status.

HIV should not be a concern. There may be other, more easily transmitted STD's that you might want to get checked out for; HSV being the most common. If any of these previous partners were infected with this virus (and it is a very common virus), it is possible to pass this on to another during oral sex.

Gail

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.