Accuracy of Oraquick rapid
Anon_136251 posted:
Is the oraquick rapid test reliable at 3 months post exposure? I have seen some articles discussing the accuracy rates that have false negatives or miss it? After 3 months are all true negative tests negative? Please I'm very scared because I only had one HIV test after 3 months but what if it was a false negative? I cant get this idea out of my mind and I'm afraid I have it but it didn't show up on the rapid test. Why owould they use the test if it wasnt reliable?

georgiagail responded:
Yes; the OraQuick test is quite reliable. There is some discussion regarding the recently approved OraQuick for home use. The accuracy of this one was a bit less but this had more to do with "consumer" error than the actual test. Accuracy results were higher when a medical professional did the test as opposed to a consumer at home. This has nothing to do with the ability of the actual test to determine antibodies to HIV at the 3 month mark.

Why do you remain scared that you may be HIV positive?

Gail

rr1234 replied to georgiagail's response:
Ok, so I can trust the test I took by a medical professional? I think I read about the orasure test that had false results. I get scared thinking I have it because I compare everyday situations like computer technology error to my test result. I dont trust people really, so I have to take the counselor's word that I'm neg, I didnt see the test for myself she just told me.

georgiagail replied to rr1234's response:
Yes; you can trust the test result.

Keep in mind that HIV screening typically checks for antibodies the immune system begins to produce after transmission has taken place.

It can take a while for these antibodies to reach levels where they can be picked up by current testing methods. By 3 months post exposure, 99.9 percent of infected folks will have enough antibodies present to be picked up by these methods.

The very, very small percentage who would need to wait until the 6 month mark are those whose immune systems have already been affected by other, serious medical issues. For example, those who have received an organ transplant and are on anti-rejection medication that suppresses the immune system...or someone who has recently undergone chemotherapy. If you are not in this category than you can take comfort that your test result was quite accurate.

Tests like the OraQuick test were designed to be, well, idiot proof; hard to mess them up and easy enough that results are available quickly. These tests are often used in Health Department settings where clients may not return for results as would be required if samples were sent to a lab to be run.

Gail

I just get scared again whenever Iget a new cold sore in a new place on my lip, not just on the border of my lip. I'm afraid my health is low and that's why they're popping up in new places. When I dont have any symptoms I'm OK and not really nervous. I also think about the clinic I had it done at. I didnt receive any pretest counseling and they didnt say how long to wait until the test is accurate. I remember someone askin me questions when I arrived about if I ever got tested forHIV before and general info about me. I just hope that they kew what they were doing and that I'm truly negative.

A new cold sore is caused by the virus HSV, not HIV. Most adults carry this virus, having picked it up in childhood. Many end up having few outbreaks as adults.

Like most, I carry this virus myself and I haven't had a cold sore in, oh, decades. However, I do recall in my younger days worrying greatly about things (or getting a sunburn on my face) often took place before an outbreak.

In other words, you stressing about a disease that you do not have might be triggering the cold sore which makes you believe your immune system is poor (which it isn't) and that you must be HIV positive (which you aren't)...and then more stress, more cold sores, etc. etc. etc.. Sounds like a stress merry go round!

Gail

So I can be very confident I dont have HIV? It's been so long almost 2 years since the event happened. I just need to know that the clinician performed the test and interpreted it accurately. Is there any reason not to believe they didnt do it right? I would very much like move on and leave this behind me Im just scared to get tested again because it's scary. I dont have any proof that the condom broke, he told me it didnt. I dont want to get scared intensely that I have HIV every time I get a new symptom.

Yes, you can be confident that this test shows you do not have HIV and you can move on.

Gail

Greenvtor99 replied to georgiagail's response:
Hi,

I need a help from people here. I by mistake had a oral sex with a unknown person. will i get this HIV now? please help me. things done by mistake and now this fear is eating up my mind.
Can someone help me please?

Thanks,
green.

georgiagail replied to Greenvtor99's response:
Unprotected oral sex carries an EXTREMELY low risk of HIV transmission.

Think along the lines of .5 to 1 per 10,000 exposures with a source KNOWN to carry the virus.

Your risk would be even less since you cannot confirm this unknown persons status.

Gail

Greenvtor99 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thanks Gail. So I shouldn't need to worry about this.Is this right?
And both ways oral sex happened between myself and the girl. Can I be sure that No risk exists now?

georgiagail replied to Greenvtor99's response:
"Can I be sure that No risk exists now?"

Do we (or you) know the status of this partner? No. If you remain concerned regarding this very low statistical risk, then consider taking an HIV screening test at the 90 day mark.

Gail

An_249832 replied to georgiagail's response:
Hi Gail,

You sound very knowledgeable on this topic and your posts seem researched or borne from experience. If it's alright with you, may I ask how you attained this knowledge?

An_249898 replied to georgiagail's response:
Im curious about Oraquick's HIV home testing kit, i tested at 6 weeks and 3 months post exposure and while i was testing, i only swabbed the top part, took it out and then swabbed the bottom part, and when i put the swab onto the vial, only the control line showed up. i called their customer care number and they said that the tests were valid. what do you think? did my swabbing method increased the likelihood of a false negative?

georgiagail replied to An_249898's response:
What you were told by the customer care representative was accurate. You have had two negative HIV test results; these results were quite valid in terms of your status.

Gail