Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
so scared i could possibly been exposed to hiv
meech22 posted:
hi im an 21 year old male and ive been having some issues since my last possible exposure of hiv but any i had unprotected sex with this one girl on Aug 10 and now its Sep 23 but every since then between that time period ive been feeling kinda sick with symptoms such as a rash which makes my whole body itch,on and off headaches, body aches and a little knot on the gum of my left jaw but people say it maybe a wisdom tooth coming in but i took two test which both came back negative and been stressing every since then could someone please relieve this stress because im going nuts and possibly couldve passed it along my girlfriend because she now has the itches, sore throat, and on and off headaches as well.......im soo scared i dont know what to think nomore !!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

meech22 responded:
oh yeah sometimes my body twitches,stomach be growling even when im just finishing eat and bowel movement doesnt seem normal as usual

georgiagail responded:
Your symptoms are not consistent with early stage HIV; these would involve "flu like" symptoms,not itchy rashes or a knot on your gum.

In addition, a test done at least 1 month after a possible exposure (while not 100 percent accurate) gives one a pretty good idea of their status. It is estimated that 95 percent of newly infected folks will have enough antibodies present at 1 month post exposure to be picked up by current testing methods.

Keep in mind that HIV is actually a pretty difficult STD to pick up. However, other STD's such as chlamydia and gonorrhea are far easier to pick up and transmit to others...these are the ones you should be concerned about if you haven't been tested for them since your sexual encounter outside your relationship.

Gail

meech22 replied to georgiagail's response:
Ive been tested for std twice between that time period for chlamydia and gonorrhea and both times came back negative

georgiagail replied to meech22's response:
Then I'd suggest your headaches and changes in bowel habits are due to stress and worry. Body twitches and a growling stomach are not symptoms of HIV.

Gail

thanks gail oh yeah i have another question once contracted with hiv do symptoms come and go or do they stay

Shortly (2 to 6 weeks) after transmission, one will go through a period of what has been described as "flu like" symptoms which will last (like the "regular" flu) about 2 weeks.

After this there will be no symptoms for many years. Often what people think are symptoms (i.e., white tongue is pretty commonly mistaken for oral thursh) early on are not seen until the virus has had a chance to severely affect the immune system.

In an untreated person this typically takes about a decade to move from HIV to the end stage of the disease AIDS. Until then, without testing, many are unaware that the carry this virus because they have no symptoms that would indicate they do.

On the other hand, if someone worries they may be infected, they tend to use the Internet to read up about symptoms and will often fear that every itch, twitch, pain, ache....things they would normally not pay attention to....must be a symptom they are positive. This tends to worsen if the event they fear put them at risk involves issues such as stepping out of a relationship for sexual contact and HIV is seen as a punishment for doing so.

The only way to know if one is infected is not through symptoms but through testing.

Gail

ohhhh ok thank soo much for your advice and inputs Gail..will come back if i have anymore questions and thank you once again for everything

meech22 replied to meech22's response:
Quick question to Gail but how accurate is a 20min hiv test and is 8wks good enough for me to be hiv negative if test come negative??? im just dien to know cause im still stressing bad and sorry to bother you again just curious..

The 20 minute HIV screening test is quite accurate.

The recommended time period for testing is 90 days (3 months). HIV screening does not check for the actual virus but rather for antibodies the immune system begins to produce after transmission has taken place.

"Non-reactive" means no antibodies were found.

By 1 month post transmission 95 percent of newly infected folks are said to have enough antibodies present to be picked up by current testing methods. By 3 months this increases to 99.99 percent. Eight week testing falls somewhere inbetween.

If you remain concerned that you did not wait long enough at the 8 week mark, then get retested at the 12 week mark but honestly, it is HIGHLY (and I do mean HIGHLY) unlikely that someone would test negative at 8 weeks and positive at 12.

Gail

okkk thanks gail i appreciate everything youve told me and now i go in tuesday for my 8wks so im hopeing and praying that i test negative

hello gail im back again i have another question now im on day 54 and i went to take another hiv test and it came out negative again but my question is should i still be concerned about being hiv positive and what is my percentage or chances of testing positive??

Read what I wrote to you five days ago.

Gail

Thanks now i get what you saying !!

have a question again... sorry but i have another question?? if i tested negative and 8wks and before my partner was negative before should she test negative 8wks as well??

Helpful Tips

Encouragement for those who are worried
I gained a lot of reassurance reading this board over the last week and I just wanted to post my own experience to hopefully ease the minds ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.