Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Very worried about possible HIV exposure
VeryConcerned23 posted:
I have recently had unprotected Oral sex and protected insertive vaginal sex with someone who I am pretty sure is at high risk of having HIV. The oral sex lasted about 2-3 minutes and I did not ejaculated while the protected insertive vaginal sex lasted approximately 2 minutes. I am going crazy about the thought that I may have contracted HIV. Does anyone know any kind of reliable statistics regarding transmission of HIV for unprotected oral and protected insertive vaginal sex? FYI, I am a male, and the sex was with a female. Any comments and advice would be greatly appreciated.

georgiagail responded:
The estimated risk from unprotected oral sex is .5 to 1 per 10,000 exposures with a source KNOWN to carry the virus.

Your risk would be less since you cannot confirm your partners status.

Your risk from protected vaginal intercourse (assuming the condom was used accurately and did not break or tear) is zero. The virus cannot cross an intact latex condom.

Gail

VeryConcerned23 replied to georgiagail's response:
thank you for your response gail i really appreciate it. i have a few more questions for you. first, how accurate are the PCR DNA tests after 14 days of potential exposure? second, If tested at four weeks of possible exposure how accurate are those results?also, i have been suffering from extreme anxiety from this whole situation, do you have any advice on how i can overcome this anxiety? thank you soo much for your help

georgiagail replied to VeryConcerned23's response:
Why would you even consider very expensive PCR DNA tests since the risk of HIV transmission simply wasn't there in your case.

You need to reread your statistical risk from the oral sex which is so small as to be almost no risk whatsoever...and the protected sex risk which is ZERO and quit worrying about all of this.

Gail

VeryConcerned23 replied to georgiagail's response:
I understand my risk statistically is very low, ive just been losing a lot of sleep over this.my anxiety level is so high i cannot stand it. to expand on the situation, the woman was a csw who said she gets tested weekly but how can i believe that? ughhh i am just losing it over this. however youre advice has eased my mind quite a bit. you are awesome and i really appreciate your responses.

Helpful Tips

Coping With Anxiety & HIV Worry
Is HIV anxiety keeping you up at night? Are you finding yourself questioning every random act as an HIV risk? Don't let anxiety steal your ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 36 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.