Skip to content
Oral Candidiasis and others
An_247772 posted:
Hi
I had been possibly exposed close to a year and half back. My results have come out in my favour. However, I have many oral related issues. Ulcers and have some pricking/paining feeling inside my throat and every now and then have difficulty in swallowing and mild pain and uncomfortable feeling. I am scared whether this would be oral candiasis which seems to be the primary symptom of this disease. First i thought only if something its visible I should be bothered, but then I learnt it can very well be formed inside my throat and mucous membrane. My questions are below:

1) Is it actually the primary detector/symptom? and only immuno compromised people get it?
2) Whats the chance does whatever I am xperiencing is related to candidis? I also read somewhere it does quiet a long time for this oral symptom to surface?

I am pushing meeting my Family phsyician/ENT cos of this fear. Kindly help Georg.

georgiagail responded:
It would be highly unusual that someone who became HIV positive only a year and a half ago would be experiencing the type of oral thrush seen in HIV.

However, a more important issue is that you say "results have come out in my favour". I'm assuming this means you have been tested after waiting the accurate amount of time and that your test results have been negative, correct? If so, you do not have the virus and these symptoms are due to some other reason that has nothing to do with HIV.

Gail

An_247772 replied to georgiagail's response:
Hi
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I waited for enough time. Infact, only close to three months after this incident only I started having doubts. Hence I waited for 3 more months and started testing from 6 months all the way to 1.5 years. Have taken Ab and combo tests except PCR.

As you said thats my total confusion now:
1)Is PCR the ultimate test? Any further testing required?
2) Whether at all I am having is Oral thrush.
3) Secondly, in the worst case of it being the Oral thrush. Could there at all be any non serious issue associated with it. I am afraid, from what I read Oral thrush is definitely a alarming signal? Is int it?

Thanks

georgiagail replied to An_247772's response:
No; a PCR test is not necessary. PCR testing is typically used to determine a patients viral load when HIV has been confirmed. It can help determine when to start medication or to determine whether the meds a patient is on are successful at suppressing the virus.

It's usefulness in screening is that it can detect issues earlier than other screening tests. It is a totally useless and expensive screening test in someone whose last exposure was 18 months ago.

Your testing has clearly proven that you are HIV negative. Thus, this difficulty swallowing (and oral thrush makes it very painful to swallow, not just mild pain and discomfort) has nothing to do with this disease.

Gail

An_247772 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thanks Gail.

In simple words, I was doing OK, after the initial test reports (taken at around 7 months and 1 year). Since, exactly when I am fear of this dreadful disease, I am getting issues which I HAVE NEVER HAD BEFORE AND WHICH RESEMBLE CLOSELY TO THIS DISEASE, I am very scared,confused and anxious. This is also the reason I took a Western blot specific Type I and generic Type II at nine months and one final CMIA at 15 months.

To conclude- Since its bothering me, you say Go and have it checked up with an open mind and it need not be Oral thrush at all ( you say theres very less chance of it being oral thrush)?

I hate to think negatively, in the worst case of it being oral thrush, whats my status? How does it affect your conclusions so far?

Thanks

georgiagail replied to An_247772's response:
Get the sore throat and difficulty swallowing checked out medically since these issues are bothering you.

Your status in regards to HIV is negative. Extensive testing has proven this. Whatever is causing the swallowing/sore throat symptoms has nothing to do with HIV.

Gail

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.