Skip to content
I just have to ask....
An_248285 posted:
I'm gonna get to the point: I had unprotected sex with someone who I randomly met. We had sex 4 times that evening and I did ejaculate in her. Not my greatest moment, but what are my chances of contracting HIV virus from her? Any suggestions for the next step I should take?

Thanks

georgiagail responded:
Your risk would, of course, depend, in her status.

The ESTIMATED per act risk from insertive (that's you) unprotected penile-vaginal intercourse is 5 per 10,000 exposures with a source KNOWN to carry the virus.

Your next step (if you cannot contact her to get tested) is to consider an HIV screening test for yourself at the 90 day mark.

Gail

tmc2224 replied to georgiagail's response:
Gail, Thank you for your response. Much appreciated. I will take the step you suggested.

May you kindly elaborate on the 5 per 10,000 exposure part? What does that mean?

Thank you for your time

georgiagail replied to tmc2224's response:
This is simply an estimate of risk of HIV acquisition based on various exposure routes developed by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (CDC, NIH).

We use the statistics they have come up with since many want to know how risky any behaviors they engaged in actual were in regards to picking up HIV.

The fly in the ointment in many of these postings is that folks have engaged in these activities without an awareness of the status of their partners. If this person you had unprotected sex with four times does not have the virus your risk is, of course, zero as she cannot pass on something she does not have.

Gail

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.