Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
TONGUE RELATED SYMPTOMS
An_247772 posted:
Hi

I have been reading through the posts and hence decided to ask my concerns and queries I have in my mind.

I had a possible exposure well over an year back. I got checked out after waiting enough time. The result was negative. Initially, it was just an apprehension that lead to me getting checked.

However, over the past three four months, I am getting oral issues. First burning sensation all over the mouth. Now, over the last two months or so, every now and then portions of my tongue gets some sores/lesion.. It burns (sometimes a little strongly). I went to a dentist, who does not know about my exposure. After observing me for two three sittings, she suspects geographic tongue. I have never had this before in my life and I learn that women get this more than men. She said, what I had was mild moving lesions/de-pappiliation and tongue cuts. It comes and goes off its own. I am getting a lil frustrated whenever it starts bothering me, by burning much.

The question is, Does the above tongue issues in anyway possibly related to this disease I am fearing about. Should I get re-tested or any new tests? I jus googled de-pappiliation and it leads to this disease in many links. I can understand that what speaks here is the result. But, it does hurt me when the paper says I am fine, but my body shows these signs.

How relevant are my tongue cuts/lesions/ulcers w.r.t to the disease this forum about?

Thanks

georgiagail responded:
It's important to keep in mind that testing trumps symptoms every time.

If you tested appropriately (i.e., 90 days after a possible exposure) then you can take comfort that you are HIV negative, no matter what is happening orally.

Gail

An_247772 replied to georgiagail's response:
Hi Gail

Thanks for reply. As you said, it should be dealt like a cause and effect issue. I should be focusing on what causes these, than digging more into this disease.
Whats blocking my mind is the fact that whatever I have described above, by internet search are mainly and most likely associated with this disease only. This is what is preventing me from moving on.
Hence, I asked whether at all whatever I described are related to this disease's symptoms? Is this inference true?
This is my state of mind, kindly advise.

Thanks

georgiagail replied to An_247772's response:
I'm not certain what else we can tell you since you seem convinced that this condition must be linked to HIV and that you must be infected despite accurate negative test results..

I'm also not certain where you're getting your information that geographic tongue is a symptom of HIV. It's not. As the attached article from the Mayo Clinic points out, there's really been no real cause determined of what is considered to be a benign medical condition. Some research points out that folks with diabetes or even the use of oral contraceptives may increase the risk of developing this but to date, there's no conclusive studies that show the cause of this:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/geographic-tongue/DS00819

Gail

An_247772 replied to georgiagail's response:
Dear Gail

Thanks again for elaborate info on Geographic tongue. I sure should start believing in the results. What I intended to ask was, "whether this disease shoes signs like cuts/bruises/mild lesions in tongue which burns etc.. As you said I also read that geographic tongue is actually a benign conditions whose causes are not certain.
But when I just googled for the symptoms like I mentioned above cuts, lesions on tongue, dehydrated tongue etc.. quiet a few links are taking to this disease.
Hence, I wanted to ask whether at all these tongue symptoms are related to this disease, as this is the expert forum.
I am trying really hard to not relate these and believe totally in my results. But, I get depressed, when the fact how can an otherwise healthy person coincidentally get very similar looking symptoms? , crosses my mind.

I am very sorry if I am testing your patience.
Thanks

ashler responded:
does your tongue looks like this?

http://forums.webmd.com/3/oral-health-exchange/forum/1940

Helpful Tips

A few words of advice that you can choose to take to heart
Just get tested every six months if you plan on, or a regular practitioner of unsafe sex. Since Six months is the final window period after ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 24 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.