Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Chances of HIV Transmission
An_248660 posted:
Hi all,
I recently was in a bar and received oral sex from an asian sex worker. She then proceeded to rub my penis in between her vagina prior to entering for up to 15 secs, without a condom. Point to note is that I was not hard as I had allot to drink that night, but just got hard enough for slight penetration of the tip of the penis. I pull out and ejaculated after about 15 secs as I was receiving a hand job for some time prior to this. Afterwards I asked her when she was last tested and she told me 6 months ago and she was clean. So she said, really what els would she say.

The question is should I start on HIV PEP? Are the risks extremely high that I would have HIV or would warrant this type of treatment? What are the chances of transmission ?

Hope you can help.

B.

balda responded:
I also wanted to note that I am really worried about this. I hope someone can help answer some of the above.

georgiagail responded:
The estimated risk from insertive unprotected penile-vaginal intercourse is 5 per 10,000 exposures with a source KNOWN to carry the virus.

Unprotected oral sex carries a lower risk; .5 to 1 per 10,000 exposures, again with a source known to carry the virus.

A hand job is not considered a risk.

Your risk would be less than that listed above since you cannot confirm your partners status. In addition, contact with any vaginal fluids was minimal (15 seconds).

It is up to you to decide whether these risks are serious enough to consider PEP. However, keep in mind that PEP must be started within a very short time after such contact.

Gail

georgiagail replied to balda's response:
Not to pour oil on the burning fire of worry but so often we get postings from those who, on the spur of the moment (and often when alcohol has made their ability to think logically quite fuzzy) engage in unprotected sexual contact with strangers whose status is unknown.

They then spend weeks, months or sometimes years agonizing over whether they are infected, often worrying over "symptoms" even after testing has shown they are HIV negative. In some cases, the worry and guilt over the event can take over their lives.

If you insist on going to places where sexual workers hang out, bring condoms with you in the event you decide to engage in such activities. The virus cannot cross an intact latex barrier.

Gail

balda replied to georgiagail's response:
Thanks Gail,

I am still in the window period and you have hit the nail right on the head in relation to my guilt and concern. I wont let this take over my life, however I guess I am at the cross roads on whether to take the PEP which will result in a later conclusive result and a very sick month ahead OR play russian roulette with the outcome that could impact the rest of my life.

Appreciate the honesty.

B.

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 38 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.