Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
HIV / STD risk from Plastic wrap
worried2012 posted:
Hello,

I am here regarding a thing which is worrying me for past 2 days. I met this lady online and we decided to have play on the second date. So we got naked and then i thought of using plastic wrap (Microwaveable) and starting giving her oral sex. We did not have Intercourse.. i did not remove my underwear..i just cut a piece of food plastic wrap (microwaveble) and started giving oral sex. This maybe for 2 to 3 minutes. I had 2 canker sores (tiny) in my mouth..i also brushed and used mouth wash before this incident.

1) What are the chances of me getting any STDS (OR) hiv?
2) Is plastic wrap safe? Even though i used microwaveble plastic wrap, i think the pores wont open up until we heat the plastic wrap..Is this correct?
3) I asked the female and she mentioned, she had her tests done in July for std and hiv and she never plays unsafe.

But this incident is worrying me too much. Can i get HIV/STD from this encounter?

Thanks,
Worried

georgiagail responded:
1. Zero. The plastic wrap means you never came in contact with her sexual fluids.

2. Yes, plastic wrap is safe (I'm assuming it did not tear).

No, you cannot get HIV from this encounter (assuming she is even HIV positive). Oral sex in itself carries an extremely (and we do mean extremely) low risk of transmission, even without the protection of plastic wrap.

Gail

worried2012 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thanks Gail.

But its confusing.. am very picky in these stuffs. I read all over the net and confirmed that i can use plastic wrap for oral. After i gave the oral sex... i did some search yesterday, now they are saying i should not use microwaveable plastic wrap... I am like WTF? so the explanation is, if you use microwaveable plastic wrap, they have few pores through which virus can pass.

- Is this true. Does it make any difference whether i use microwaveble or not?

(no wrap was not ripped...i even saved the wrap i used)

worried2012 replied to worried2012's response:
What about the 2 or 3 canker sores I have during that time? does that increase the chances of HIV or any otehr stds... Please advice.

georgiagail replied to worried2012's response:
Again, your plastic wrap is an effective barrier against such transmission.

And, as we've written before, so many of the questions we receive here regarding folks fears of HIV involve some type of sexual encounter with a partner whose status is unknown. The time for confirming a partners status is before sexual exercises are undertaken, not after.

Gail

P.S. Oral sex even without protection carries an estimated risk of .5 to 1 per 10,000 exposures with a source KNOWN to carry the virus. Your risk would be less since you cannot confirm your partners status.

Perhaps those that are speaking out against using microwaveable plastic wrap can present some actual documentation regarding someone who became HIV positive ONLY after performing oral sex on someone while using such plastic wrap.

Gail

worried2012 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thanks Gail. I appreciate your time and reply.

Worried.

You have nothing to be worried about. I actually think your decision to use plastic wrap was quite well thought out in the heat of the moment regarding passion.

Gail

Helpful Tips

I am scared to death of possible HIV infection.
I went with a woman which I dontknow her HIV status , and I discovered that she is at her period, she used some tisuues to cover her ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.