Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Don't Know What To Think & Very Nervous and Scared
HopingForPersonalFreedom posted:
Thank you for taking the time to help me with this, All. I had unprotected vaginal sex w a girl 9 weeks ago. At 2 wks felt tightened, painful calves & fatigue. At 4 weeks, extreme back, leg, neck muscle pain, sore throat, extreme fatigue, mild fever, (sweating at night for about one week), muscle spasms throughout body. Slept constantly for 3 days. Since then I've been incredibly tired with morning headaches behind left eye that disappeared in late afternons. At 6 weeks a mild rash on arms, shoulders, stomach, rib cages, chest, thighs, calves that now itches and continues.

I had an hiv dna pcr on day 28 and result was "Not Detected". Also rapid hiv antibody test on day 38 with Negative result. Another blood test at 5 weeks which showed Mono at very low levels which my doctor says was not responsible for symptoms. They did find Chlamydia which is now gone after being treated. Week 5 blood test showed my C Protein levels were normal, as were White Blood Cells.

I'm still very tired now at 9 weeks and feel faint consistently shortly after I eat meals. Still feel weak/fatigued around 3pm each day now (milder than extreme fatigue in weeks 4 - 5). Rash is both flesh colored, brown & red, cyst-like in places and subtle elsewhere, as if Folliculitis, but other bumps seem to not be around hair follicles.

Very scared at this point. Can someone please help me understand what's happening? My doctor says I shouldn't worry about pimples/bumps on rib cage area, and that I do not have hiv, and stress is causing my symptoms, since bloodwork showed no infection or inflamation, but I'm quite nervous nonetheless.

georgiagail responded:
First, please understand that we do not attempt to diagnose HIV by symptoms, only by risk.

Unprotected vaginal intercourse does put one at risk (assuming that partners ARE HIV positive). The recommended time period for testing is 90 days after a potential exposure. However, it is estimated that up to 95 percent of newly infected folks will have enough antibodies present at 1 month post transmission that testing will show "reactive" (i.e., positive) results at that time.

Thus, it is unusual that one would test negative at 5 weeks and positive at 12. However, to cover "all bases" have a follow up test at the 12 week mark to positively rule out HIV.

In the meantime, take comfort in knowing that the odds are greatly in your favor that this event did NOT leave you infected.

It is also important not to do a ton of research on the internet reading up about symptoms of HIV; we've found that those who are very scared that they might be positive tend to do this and then assume every "symptom" they would typically ignore when not worried must mean that they are positive. For example, I feel tired/fatigued every work day at 2:30 pm (if a clock is not available I can accurate guess the time from these symptoms) and have for...literally...decades and I am not HIV positive.

Gail

HopingForPersonalFreedom replied to georgiagail's response:
Gail, thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking the time to read and reply. You are an angel for helping others as well as me and I don't think you can possibly understand how thankful countless people on this forum are for you. I've read many of your responses to posts on this forum and it goes without saying it takes a special person to do as you do, often times replying to multiple questions from community members. You are appreciated.

Next week will be my 3 month mark when I'll test another rapid antibody. At 9 weeks 2 days I tested negative for hiv1&2 with an antibody rapid test. Although I've been feeling a bit better, the fatigue is still intense and those bumps on my back, abdomen, and rib areas under both arms are still there/ pop up, even on hips and thighs, still to this day. After my rapid test next week I will see a dermatologist as well.

God Bless You

Helpful Tips

I am scared to death of possible HIV infection.
I went with a woman which I dontknow her HIV status , and I discovered that she is at her period, she used some tisuues to cover her ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.