Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
VD and HIV
An_247772 posted:
Hi
I had a possible exposure and hence to ward off everything am getting myself tested. Though my greatest concern is this one, want to know what are other STDs. Great confusion arises when I read on the net, as I am not able to dif. b.w VDs and STDs.

What are VDs and how are the diff from STDs. Can anyone help me with list of VD's and STDs one who is sexually active should get checked for. I am sorry if I am slightly deviating from the main topic. I have only one yearly checkup left. SO it will help me in clearing off my anxiety. Experts kindly help me.

Hoping to hear back..

Thanks

georgiagail responded:
If by "VD" you mean venereal disease, this is just another term for sexually transmitted diseases.

Attached is a list of STD's, although Bacterial Vaginosis can occur without sexual contact:

http://www.cdc.gov/STD/

Gail

An_247772 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thanks Gail.
Oh , they are the same then(STDs and VDs)!. I had some possible exposure in the past. My package list consists of
1. HIV
2. Syphilis
3. Gonnrehao
4. Chlymidia
5. Herepes
6. Hepatitis A,B, C

NO HPV or any others mentioned in the website. ANy word of advise on any other screening for a specific STD. I am straight BTW.

Also, I know I need to wait for 3 months for HIV. What would be the similar window period for other diseases?

Thanks a million for your time. I apologize for asking slightly deviatory questions.

Thanks again

georgiagail replied to An_247772's response:
Testing for bacterial based STD's (i.e., Chlamydia, Gonorrhea) involves checking for the actual presence of the bacterial agent involved with these. Thus, testing can be done fairly soon after a possible exposure; several days after an exposure would be fine.

Testing for viral based STD's (HIV, Hepatitis, Herpes) as well as the bacterial based Syphilis is a bit different. This involves checking for specific antibodies that the immune system begins to develop after transmission has taken place. Because it can take a while for these antibodies to reach levels where current testing methods can detect them the recommended time period for testing would be 90 days after a potential exposure.

However, if one develops the painless sore connected with Syphilis (i.e., "the chancre") or the more painful blisters seen with herpes, samples from these can be taken for testing. Thus, if they occur before the 3 month mark, testing on them can be done at that time.

I hope this makes sense...

Gail

Thanks i understood the difference. Ok, I think I will go ahead with the list I have as I have waited enough. I have the following two questions:
1. Here they mention a test called Vedial or something. Have u heard of it. I am from South Asia. Also, they have test for individual STDs mentioned above. I don know whether I should take this Vedial also (Its pronounced Vdieal)

2. The important contradaiction comes from two labs that conduct HIV tests. LAB A says it can give combo test itself within 4-5 hours. LAB B says it can give only Antibody test within same time of 4-5 hours, buut for combo tests it will take a 3-4 days. So, I am vry confused regarding the relaibility. Is it really possible to conduct combo tests within 4-5 hours? They are not friendly in helping me out and hence am asking this specific question to you.

3. When should one take P24 Ag test. Some say only during inital duration. But in a few places I found a person can have either Ag or Ab in his body. So to rule out possible Non-sero conversion I should take a combo or Ab test and P24 Ag tests seperately?

4. Whats this white patchy tongue and oral candida all about. I am getting dehydrated feeling very often nowadays. My tongue gets dried up and becomes very white. And also ulcers on the tongue that stings and burns. Is this characteristic of HIV. This white patchy tongue seems to be bothering everyone who is in doubt. Can u kindly help in understandoing this. I understand from your previous post, we should not diagnose it from symptoms. But, is it actually relevant at all that white patchy tongue, tongue ulcers is HIV related?

Sorry for such an elaborate write up. I just put in main things I want to ask. Thanks again Gail. Hoping to hear back!

Before you fork out a ton of money for tests that are far more expensive than the traditional ELISA screening test, how about letting us know what your potential exposure was and how long ago this took place.

Oral candida is a symptom seen in late stage HIV; when the disease has moved from HIV to AIDS. In an untreated individual this takes up to a decade to occur. You are correct; it appears that everyone who reads about HIV symptoms tends to run to the mirror to check their tongue and often assumes the normal white coloring must represent oral candida. Oral thrush is a very painful medical condition, often make swallowing an impossibility. It is more than just a white tongue and perhaps a sore throat.

Gail

1. Its owing to my relationship with my ex and am clean over the last 2 months or so. This relationship lasted close to a year running back from this september. thing intermediate. So, based on this time frame what test would you prescribe.? I have read your previous views of PCR. A little more info on P24 would be helpful.?

2. Oral Candida: Oh I see, since all of a sudden I am getting dehydrated white furry tongues, I am afraid. So is there a chance that it will start like a regular white patchy tongue over the years and then grow into the painful condition that you described only after many years. Should I be alert and get it checked for starting of oral candida?

Thanks

The time limitation of the p24 antigen test is described in the attached:

http://www.catie.ca/en/pif/august-2010/detecting-hiv-earlier-advances-hiv-testing

If your last possible exposure was 2 months ago (September), then consider getting the routine ELISA screening test. A test done 1 month post exposure is estimated to be 95 percent accurate; that is, 95 percent of newly infected folks will have enough antibodies present to be picked up by current testing methods. By 3 months this accuracy is 99.9 percent. At two months (or six weeks if the last possible exposure was near the end of September) the percentage falls somewhere in between the two.

Consider getting your status regarding HIV confirmed before you worry about end-stage symptoms such as oral candida.

Gail

godsaveme1 replied to georgiagail's response:
Sorry Gail, our last replies to each other was removed for I wanted remain anonymous. U had mentioned that :
P24 is not useful after 6 weeks or so and is used in blood donations and
that you would not recommend PCR and
the article on ars,acute and seroconversion.

1. Can u kindly repost the link alone?

2. Lastly, once again if I get screening in my favour, PCR would never even in future would change its result and this alone is self sufficient? Anyother test in anyform however cosly is required? I am ready to take it toget over this and hence i am asking..

georgiagail replied to godsaveme1's response:
1. http://aids.gov/hiv-aids-basics/just-diagnosed-with-hiv-aids/hiv-in-your-body/stages-of-hiv/

Seroconversion describes when the immune system becomes aware that a foreign agent (any agent; bacterial or viral) has entered "the system" (the body) and begins to produce antibodies against this in an attempt to destroy this.

This doesn't happen immediately after transmission which is why the viral load (i.e., amount of virus present) is quite high for a short period of time in a newly infected individual.

Keep in mind though that until the immune system begins to kick into high gear, the Acute Retroviral Syndrome symptoms (often described by some as the worst flu one will experience)
are not present yet.

2. The concern of PCR testing is (besides this being a technically more difficult and expensive test to run) is that the sensitivity of this particular test results in more "false positive" results when, in fact, the patient is actually HIV negative. Thus, a follow up antibody test is recommended. If you wish to undergo the PCR test (and you are certain the lab knows what they are doing) then follow this up with the less expensive antibody screening ( known as the ELISA) at the 90 day mark to confirm your status.

Gail

Helpful Tips

I am scared to death of possible HIV infection.
I went with a woman which I dontknow her HIV status , and I discovered that she is at her period, she used some tisuues to cover her ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.