Skip to content
Please help with your thoughts.
An_248951 posted:
Last Friday on 11/2/12 I engaged in a sexual encounter with a transsexual prostitute. The details are as follows. We had multiple deep kissing sessions, we performed unprotected oral sex on each other, and we had protected anal sex where I was inserting. He said that he is clean, was last tested in September, and has no visible symptoms of HIV. I also found that he had no visible symptoms when we were together, I did not see a rash, warts, sores, or the like. There was no blood at any time during our encounter. He did finish himself on his stomach and I did not touch his semen. We used a lubricant to help with the anal penetration, and several times, I spit in my hand to add some lubrication. When it was time for me to finish, I removed the condom and finished with my hand, the same hand that I spit into. It looked as if some of the lubricant naturally escaped on to the sheet. But I am confident that I did not come into contact with any blood, semen, or pre-cum. The only thing, as noted, would be the potential for anal secretions as noted on my hand, during masturbation.
For the first few days, roughly until Wednesday, nothing happened to me. But around that time, I really started to worry about the possible contraction of HIV. So I started reading about the symptoms non-stop, every site possible. I went out and bought an OraQucik test (which was negative, but means nothing). Thursday, I started to develop lower back pain, which I suffer from often. I ordered a HIV RNA test for Monday (11/12/12). Throughout this past week, I have been taking my temperature, and it was good until today (Friday). When I got home from work on Friday at 2:45 pm it was 99.2. In a rush, I went to the ER to see what they had to say. I recounted what I have written here, and the doctor said I have nothing to worry about. They took a urine sample for STD testing, and asked me to follow up with the clinic that I go to for the HIV RNA test this Monday. Friday my temperature is 99.5, and I have chills, which come and go. I cough a little bit, but it's more of a clean one's throat attempt.
At around 2:30 Saturday morning, I awoke and took my temperature and it was 100.5. I had a very slight headache (which I posit might be the side effect of the trazadone, as seen below).
I am so incredibly worried and anxious. I took trazadone (50 mg) several times on Friday (which I normally take for insomnia). I am obviously showing signs of stress, like morning gagging, and loss of appetite. On Saturday at 5 pm, my temperature is around 100, plus or minus a few degrees, after taking some DayQuil.
When waking Sunday morning, I had a fever 101.5, and taking medication reduces it to 99.9 +/- a few degrees. At the moment, I really do not have any other symptoms, not really coughing, I had some aches this morning, but they went away. So obviously my fever has been increasing since Friday.
So I guess my question is, have I worried myself sick? Has my stress precipitated this fever with little symptoms? It has been cold the past week, and I walk to work in the cold, and take public transportation as well, so I suppose it can be a flu or cold. But is this either this is an amazing coincidence or do I really have something to worry about?
Additionally, what is, statistically, the earliest one can get tested using an RNA test. As noted, I have one scheduled for 10 days after an encounter. Thoughts? Recommendations? Should I trust the result? I will also get the antibody test at 3 weeks.

georgiagail responded:
Stop reading about symptoms and stop taking your temperature.

Instead, focus on the potential risk from this encounter.

Deep kissing...no risk.

Protected anal intercourse...no risk (assuming the condom was used accurately and did not break or tear).

Oral sex (both giving and receiving, unprotected) carries an estimated risk of .5 to 1 per 10,000 exposures with a source KNOWN to carry the virus. Your risk would be less since you cannot confirm your partners status.

If you believe this incredibly small risk warrants a test, get one at 90 days, not 3 weeks. And please keep in mind that your "symptoms" did not develop until you began your nonstop reading over the internet of these.

Did you worry yourself sick? I'd say so.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Keep having Hope and faith, never give up and be positive
Hi, I would like to share my story. I've been HIV positive for 13 years and have been on MPWHerpes.com to meet my future husband. Well 24th ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.