Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Given situation - Should I Undergo Test?
An_249007 posted:
Dear Friends,

I undergoing given situation and I need help to decide if I "MUST" undergo into HIV clinical tests.

1) In August 3rd Week of 2012, I had sex with Two girls at the Same time
2) I used Condom, separate for each girl
3) It happened in HK SAR (I am mentioning this because exposure varies with Countries)
4) The girls are sex workers, one of them i knew for 2 months, whenever i go for a particular bar i used to talk to her, she always looked healthy and clean
5) I dont know the other girl (friend of hers) also looked healthy and clean
6) My fear is, after a brief session with the girl i already knew, I was surprised that the condom's gone
7) She pulled it off her vagina, it was stuck there, i dont know if it was long gone before and I ended up in contact with vaginal fluid (i am not sure the wetness that was on my penis was vaginal fluid)
I cleaned my penis with Soap water after this incident
9) I am not circumsized
10) I Insisted the girls clean their vagina with soap before the session and they did that
11) Till today I didnt had any symptoms of Flu/fever
12) I consume drink almost every day, Ofcourse i had head aches and hang overs once in a while
13) I dont know if i sweat in nights, I had fever in nights most of the nights I am "Black Out" due to booze
14) I dont see any symptoms like swollen lymph nodes/fever/head aches/any symptoms of viral infection/whatsoever till now
15) I had a scratch in face (May be Due to my long nails in my fingers) where a very little puss formed now (is this a symptom?)
16) Apart from these definitely feel sound, strong and healthy
17) I am having a minor weightloss (hard to find good food out here!) due to that i am not having food well last couple of months
18) I never had sex with any stranger before this incided (apart from the sessions i have with a girl friend, i definitely know she is not promiscuous)
19) I never had sexual sessions with any stranger after this incided either (decided not to do with any stranger anymore, because i could not bare this uncanny, fearful, doubtfull feeling after this incident i am undergoing. It is very stressfull to spend 10 minutes before mirror and check for symptoms fearing that i have contracted HIV. So I DECIDED NOT TO BE PROMISCUOUS anymore and be faithful to my girlfriend)
20) I have not made any sessions with my girl friend after this incident (because I dont want to expose her too if in case i have contracted HIV)
21) I have not tested for HIV so far either, because we know that it we need to give HIV some time to be large enough (in count) to be deducted in our system, I was just waiting for the high viral load (in case i have it in my system) before i can undergo test

Now, I could not answer my girlfriend's questions that why i am not having sex with her these many days, I could not "All of a sudden" suggest to use a condom (because we never used one and she might question abt that too or find out that i had sex with sex workers, i dont want her to know about this, I want to get out of this clean and lead my usual life with my girl friend.

Now, I am very healthy, sound and strong with no symptoms. Should I undergo tests before I have sex with my girl friend? DO I REALLY HAVE HIV IN ME?

Kindly let me know if any more information is required, I am happy to answer. Million thanks for ones who is going help me, advise me regarding this.

Warm regards,
A good friend!

georgiagail responded:
If you believe the contact that involved losing the condom may have left you exposed to the virus, then do a screening test.

The fact the girls looked healthy plays no role in this.

Gail

P.S. You drink enough to "black out" frequently?

GoodFriend replied to georgiagail's response:
Dear Gail,

Thanks for the advise!

Like I said, I am doing very healthy, Sound. Not even Flu attached me after the incident. I can completely remember that the Condom was on and last second while I pull out. I know I am sounding like "Convincing myself" but this is what happened. I definitely feel Ok and healthy so far.

I was not drinking when I was sleeping with my girlfriend. Now I stay at friends place, avoiding her. So I have the opportunity to drink daily, I drink because of my frustration. Most of the days I black out.

And I really feel dont want to get tested I cant bare that if it comes positive, I have strong feelings to just "Disappear" from this painful frustrated life.

Warm regards,
Good Friend

georgiagail replied to GoodFriend's response:
If the condom was on until the last second you pulled out, it is unlikely you came in contact with this womans vaginal fluids.

Gail

Thank you Gail, Like I said, I am worried about this incident. I know I was protected and stuff, I didnt see any symptoms at all.. Like any. But still these little things makes me worried. I had a small wound on my face due to my long finger nails, its still healing. And there is a pink itchy spot on leg (where the skin area where socks covers). I am too worried and this pink spot is little itchy. My question is, are these symptoms of HIV? Or should i just forget about it and continue my life?

Appreciate your efforts, kindly guide me.

Warm regards,
A friend...

No, neither of these are symptoms of HIV.

Early symptoms of HIV occur two to six weeks after transmission and cause "flu like" symptoms that last about two weeks. After that there are NO symptoms from the virus for many years; it is not until the disease has progressed from HIV to AIDS that one begins to experience symptoms such as significant weight loss. In an untreated individual this takes roughly a decade from the initial transmission to take place.

It is not unusual that when one fears they may be recently infected, they go on the internet and read about all sorts of symptoms that are seen only when one has been infected (and untreated) for years. Thus we know that by reviewing the timeline of recent unprotected sexual contact that any "symptoms" really have nothing to do with HIV but may be caused by the dreaded "internetitis".

Gail

Dear Gail,

Thank you, now I understand what I shouldn't really worried about. But right from the beginning my question is this. I never had any flu like symptoms whatsoever. I dont had memory of having Flu, Cold, Swollen lymphs, Soar throat or diarrhea anything. I have not taken screening test as well. (How long this flu like symptoms will last? Is it like everyone will have/notice such symptoms? Is it like I didnt show symptoms but i still have HIV?) Should I just stop worrying about this, consider that I am dont have HIV and continue in the life?

I am really undergoing great amount of stress right now...

Kindly help me,
A good friend

The Acute Retroviral Syndrome (i.e., the first stage of HIV) with it's flu like symptoms tends to last the length of the "usual" flu; about two weeks.

It is often described as the "worst bout of flu" one will experience but the intensity will vary from individual to individual.

If you are undergoing great stress over this event, then consider getting tested. Not that I think this event left you infected but rather that getting that nice "negative" test result would go far in helping your stress level.

Gail

Dear Gail,

I got tested (Rapid Test) and came negative. I have few last questions about this:

1) The vaginal intercourse happened in Aug 2012. I have taken this test today and came negative. Is the window period is good enough? When should I test again to make doubly sure?
2) The test happened before my eyes, they took few drops of blood and applied it on two strips, one is HIV and other one is Syphilis. We had to wait for fifteen minutes and after that the attendee explained the output and said I am negative of HIV and Syphilies. Is this the way it should happen? I thought they will examine for the infection/virus under microscope or electron microscope and do many tests with the blood to make sure I am not infected. They didnt even got any money for this test. This is what making me skeptical. Should I go to a better high profile hospital for a 100% perfect result? How far this test is genuine do you think?

Kindly advice.

Thank you,
A good friend.

GoodFriend replied to GoodFriend's response:
3) Also that I went to the testing lab today evening and yesterday I had send-off party of a good friend and so we had alcohol. Will the blood alcohol content will affect the test?

Thank you,
A good friend

1. Yes; no further testing is required

2. HIV screening tests do not check for the actual virus (which is incredibly small); instead the tests check for antibodies the immune system begins to release after transmission has taken place. If none of these antibodies are present, the test result is "negative/non-reactive". Such testing does not require the use of a microscope, electron or not.

3. No, the fact you drank yesterday prior to your test will have no impact on the accuracy of the result.

Testing has shown you are HIV negative. Congratulations!

Gail

Helpful Tips

Coping With Anxiety & HIV Worry
Is HIV anxiety keeping you up at night? Are you finding yourself questioning every random act as an HIV risk? Don't let anxiety steal your ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.