Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
i am so scared to death
dagi1975 posted:
I saw my ex girlfriend from 10 years ago and we had sex. Mostly it was protected, but there is this 2-3 minute period it was unprotected vaginal intercourse. I don't know her status at all. 2.5 weeks later I had swollen lymph node on my left side of the neck. No fewer, no flu like conditions, but just this. I went to family doctor and she told me not to worry and gave me antibiotic and in couple days they went so small and less than a week or so they went away. I am loosing my mind here and having huge anxiety.. I ask couple doctors and they assured me it is more than NOT likely for HIV, but Iwanted to come here and ask you as well. I always had so much anxiety over aids and now this has happened, I feel like loosing my mind.. Please help.

georgiagail responded:
The one important piece of the puzzle that is missing is that neither you nor we know the status of your girlfriends status.

If she is HIV negative, she cannot, of course, pass the virus onto you. Even if she is positive, your unprotected contact with her was quite minimal (2-3 minutes).

In addition, the fact that your swollen nodes improved with the use of antibiotics is an excellent indication that whatever caused the swelling was bacterial in nature. Antibiotics treat bacterial based infections and HIV is a viral infection.

Gail

dagi1975 replied to georgiagail's response:
Gail,

Thank you for your answer. I just don't know if lymph node got small because of antibiotic or not, however, it got smaller a day or two after I started antibiotic. I have huge anxiety over this. I talked to the girl the other day, she said she is healthy, but of course I couldn't ask her status. My question was like general , " how is your health, how is everything with you"
This incident of sex was 6 months ago, and i am even scared to get tested. I feel so hopeless and depressed even with the idea..

georgiagail replied to dagi1975's response:
Look at your risk this way...

Insertive (that's you) unprotected penile-vaginal intercourse carries an estimated risk of 5 per 10,000 exposures with a source known to carry the virus.

This assumes the intercourse is carried to completion which is likely to take longer than 2-3 minutes. And, it involves a partner who is confirmed to be HIV positive.

Your risk would be less since you cannot confirm her status and the actual length of time you were in contact with her sexual fluids was quite short.

If you remain concerned, then your best option is simply to get tested. Many health departments offer rapid tests where results are available in 20 minutes.

Why the "of course" you couldn't ask her status? It's important to confirm STD status if unprotected sexual contact is going to take place.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Coping With Anxiety & HIV Worry
Is HIV anxiety keeping you up at night? Are you finding yourself questioning every random act as an HIV risk? Don't let anxiety steal your ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.