Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Unknowingly exposed
An_249148 posted:
Hello,
I was in a relationship with someone who just told me that this whole time he has been taking HIV medication to prevent him from getting HIV/AIDS. We had unprotected sex, we were trying to have a baby. Tonight he felt the need to tell me this rather than when we began. I know I need to be tested not sure when, how or where. Do I go to my OB/GYN and tell her that I was stupid and didn't know. I know I need to be tested but I guess I want some comfort. IF he was on medications to prevent him from getting HIV/AIDS then is it less likely that I have it??? wishful thinking I suppose.

georgiagail responded:

Your partner is being a bit confusing in what you were told. One does not routinely take HIV medication to prevent one from getting HIV/AIDS (unless they have had a recent exposure and are on a month long dosing of such medication).

One is typically on HIV medication if they have already been determined to be positive and are taking the medication to avoid moving from HIV to AIDS (the last stage of the disease).

Is your partner actually HIV positive?

Gail

Helpful Tips

A few words of advice that you can choose to take to heart
Just get tested every six months if you plan on, or a regular practitioner of unsafe sex. Since Six months is the final window period after ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 24 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.