Skip to content
Discussion Title
smarty44 posted:
hi there,, i want to ask about the hiv disease,,,, i had safe sex 2 years before, with prostitute,, till today i am physically fit n fine except there is pain in my lower leg, means from the downside of knees to upper part of ankles, sometimes it gets worst when i walk a bit more in a day or when i drink also,,, i m also in confusion what to do,, is it the effect of that intercourse.. now i m in doubt as whether i m safe or not,,, i have gone through medical examination too,, but i dont know why i m not trusting that too???? so please help me to take me out of this confusion.... hope will get a better response

georgiagail responded:
If your sexual encounter two years ago was truly safe...i.e., a condom was used accurately and did not break or tear...then whatever is causing these symptoms is not connected to HIV.

Even assuming the prostitute was HIV positive (a fact you cannot assume simply because of her profession) the virus cannot cross an intact latex condom.

HIV, while frightening to many, is actually a pretty difficult disease to "catch" in that it has a very narrow number of ways it can be passed from one individual to another.

Gail

smarty44 replied to georgiagail's response:
thanks gail,, iit was safe sex,, but i m worried because same day i got ulcers in mouth which was only for 4-5 days but pain in my legs which is till today,,,, thats why i m scared of this deadly disease... otherwise i never ever ggot fever or flu in these two years without any reasonable cause.
can u pls. make it clear to me ,,,,

georgiagail replied to smarty44's response:
The answer remains the same....safe sex is, indeed safe from HIV transmission if the condom was used accurately and did not break or tear during the event, no matter what symptoms may pop up later.

Gail

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.