Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Need peace of mind, home Oraquick test?
jc241 posted:
Hi,
So I stupidly had a one night stand with a partner of unknown status. We had oral and penile-vaginal intercourse. A condom may have been used but I'm not entirely positive because we were both intoxicated.

I am well past the 3 month window (have not had any other sexual partners since) and have wanted to get tested just to ease my mind but I am so paranoid about getting a bad result that I haven't been able to bring myself to do it. I guess I am just thinking the worst.

So I have 2 questions
1) Approximately what is my risk from this one time encounter?
2) What do you think of using the at home Oraquick tests? I think taking the test at home may ease my anxiety about it.

Thank you for your help!

georgiagail responded:
Estimated risks from unprotected encounters...

1. Oral - .5 to 1 per 10,000 exposures with a source KNOWN to carry the virus.

2. Insertive penile-vaginal intercourse (you don't indicate if you are male or female) - 5 per 10,000 exposures with a source KNOWN to carry the virus

3. Receptive penile-vaginal intercourse - 10 per 10,000 exposures, again with a source known to carry the virus

List of FDA approved home HIV test kits:

http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/SafetyAvailability/HIVHomeTestKits/ucm126460.htm

Gail

jc241 replied to georgiagail's response:
Hi Gail,

Thank you for your response. I apologize for the omission, I'm a female.

So 10 per 10,000 exposures...that is essentially less than 1%, correct?

georgiagail replied to jc241's response:
That's less than 1 per 1,000; a very small risk but greater to the female than the male during vaginal intercourse.

This is because of the larger amount of sexual fluids the male produces and the greater risk of potential damage to vaginal membranes during intercourse (remember that in order for HIV to be passed from one individual to another, it must, somehow, be able to enter INTO the body).

Keep in mind that these figures assume the partner IS HIV positive. Since you cannot confirm his status, the risk is, statistically, less.

Take some comfort in knowing that of all the STD's out there, HIV is one of the most difficult to transmit from one individual to another through sexual contact. But because you cannot remember whether a condom was used, please take the test and let us know the results, OK?

Gail

Helpful Tips

Keep having Hope and faith, never give up and be positive
Hi, I would like to share my story. I've been HIV positive for 13 years and have been on MPWHerpes.com to meet my future husband. Well 24th ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.