Skip to content
HIV/STD from STI clinic blood test
ManR11 posted:

Hello Doctor,

I have had my HIV test done at GUM clinic by NHS UK. The results were negative.

I am worried about the incident happed while the nurse took my blood sample

Nurse applied the Alcohol wipe and did he needle prick to collect the blood. Removed the needle and asked me to press the prick with cotton like thing I think they call it cotton gauge.

She then checked if blood was stopped hence applied the sticking band aid and asked me to lower my sleeve.

And started doing the official work like verifying by number birth date etc

I realised I was still bleeding and there was some blood down my arm. So she pressed the prick with her gloves on from top of the Band-Aid and then asked me to press it while she brought some more cotton gauge (form an open cardboard box from her shelf which had more than one Gauge)to clean the blood.

She cleaned my Arm with the gauge removed the band aid and then checked if more blood and wiped blood from the prick with the gauge which she used to clean the blood on my hand.

Then applied the band aid and assured me non infection has gone in as the blood was coming out.

2. The needle was brand new

3. Not sure if the gloves she was wearing was new as she was already wearing them when she called my name for blood test.

4. Not sure of cotton gauge used to clean blood on my arm if that was clean /uninfected.

Please advise do I have a chance of any STI infection from this episode.(HIV, Hepatise etc.)

The test was done less than 36 hours from now.

Regards

georgiagail responded:
No risk of STI infection from this scenario. The only blood you came in contact with yours.

Gail

ManR11 replied to georgiagail's response:
Many thanks for the reply Gail, thats assuring.

Will there be any STI from gloves or from cotton gauge(s)

Regards

georgiagail replied to ManR11's response:
No; the bacteria and viruses that cause various STI's are living critters; they require warmth, liquids and some type of nutrients to survive. Latex gloves and cotton gauze pads provide none of these.

In addition, health care workers get the idea of Universal Precautions drilled in our heads; that involves switching gloves, washing hands frequently, using new needles, bandages, and gauze pads, disposing of used needles properly, etc., both to protect the client/patient AND ourselves (the greatest risk from needle sticks are to health care workers, not the patients).

Gail

Thanks Gail for your clarifications. I am a no-voice in this field you must have gathered by now.

So in case if there were any bacteria or viruses on the Glove or the Cotton gauze I presume they must have been dead by the time they came in contact to my body I did not see the nurse washing her hands or applying gel before or after the procedure

Regards

ManR11 replied to ManR11's response:
Dear Gail,

I being worried about HIV, is due to anxitey of HIV infection ? is that normal.

I am not able to put thing back to normal way it was before test

Please reply

LOTS of folks who post here have anxiety over HIV. LOTS. It's pretty normal. We've had some really interesting scenarios posted where folks fear they are infected.

You did not become HIV infected from the nurse giving you this test. Really. Trust me on this one.

HIV is a very, very delicate virus outside the body. It lives only seconds outside the body. This is a GOOD thing.

One does not get infected from latex gloves nor gauze pads. They become infected through unprotected sexual contact (i.e., vaginal or anal intercourse) or sharing of IV drug needles. All the other "risks" are really just worries we often make up in our own heads.

Gail

Hi Gail,

I have lately developed some itchy skin and feverish feeling. Am I getting a bit paranoid and my mind is playing or it is some thing real happening

Regards

Well, you may be coming down with a cold. I've been sneezing myself and feeling a bit feverish. Doesn't mean I've become HIV positive either.

Again, we do NOT look at symptoms but rather at risk and really, THERE WAS NO RISK from what took place at your screening facility. Honest. Really.

This does not mean you won't every come down with a cold or the flu or the sniffles or feeling tired or achy at some point in your life. What it does mean is that this event not place you at risk.

Gail

Thanks for the reply Gail,

Do you think I should go for a another test, or continue with my normal life as me and my wife are trying for a Baby.

Regards

Continue with your normal life and good luck with the baby making!

No further testing is needed.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Rashes from below
My biggest concern ever while having a girl in bed is hoping my rash doesn't show. At one point my own penis is cock blocking me by having ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.