Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Kissing and HIV
Anon_149937 posted:
I have very sensitive gums and while I was kissing my date our teeth hit and I tasted blood. I automatically stopped kissing him and realized my gum was bleeding. He asked if he was bleeding and I checked quick and didn't see anything. After the bleeding stopped we returned to kissing. Now I am terrified because what if he was bleeding and I didn't see or he had a cut in his mouth? I called my local center and they said it was very low risk and I don't need to worry, but I am terrified! PLEASE HELP!

georgiagail responded:
Is your date HIV positive and, if so, was he actively bleeding?

Gail

needhelplease replied to georgiagail's response:
From what he has told me he is a negative. We both go to the same place to get tested and he uses condoms regularly. It was dark but I did not see him bleeding.

georgiagail replied to needhelplease's response:
If both of you are HIV negative, there is no reason for you to be terrified simply because you knocked teeth during the lip locking.

Gail

Anon_149937 replied to georgiagail's response:
I was just worried because what if he wasn't being truthful about his status. I'm scared because I never had this happen before. And we've been involved in deep kissing a lot. His teeth and gums look healthy but I am still worried. What's the earliest time period I can get tested? Other than him I've only kissed two other men. Both men I had only 1 encounter with, where deep kissing was involved.

georgiagail replied to Anon_149937's response:
You would get tested three months after this event.

Gail

Anon_149937 replied to georgiagail's response:
Sorry to pester you again Gail but I was looking around at other posts and I saw that a test done 1 month after a possible encounter are considered to be 95% accurate. I'm sorry to bother you but I am so scared, especially since me and the guy I was dating are no longer talking. I talked to a family friend, who is a nurse and she told me the odds are very low and I am over reacting. But since I've never seen his paperwork saying he's negative I am so scared. It's only been a week and I am so stressed already I haven't been eating, I feel depressed!

Anon_149937 replied to Anon_149937's response:
When do ARS symptoms usually start? I had a pain my leg and my stomach. I haven't been able to sleep and I had diarrhea. Sorry to be so graphic.

georgiagail replied to Anon_149937's response:
ARS begins two to six weeks after transmission and is described as "flu like" in nature. It does not involve pain in legs or stomach.

I suspect your diarrhea and inability to sleep are due to excessive worry over a non-risk as opposed to being connected to any symptom of HIV.

Gail

An_250328 responded:
Dont worry, hiv is in saliva but in such small amounts you would have to drink buckets of it and have multiple sores in and around your mouth and even then its not likely unless you both had mega bleeding gums whilst kissing and again even then its unlikely because HIV prefers blood, the bacteria in your mouth would most likely wipe it out. Dont worry yourself, even had unprtected sex with a hiv positive person doesnt mean you will catch hiv, it depends on viral loads and your own immune system. I remember being like you, talk to him about your anxiety regarding sti/d's he will respect you for being careful and honest and probably have a little laugh, just dont go accusing him of having HIV i doubt it would go down well as its a sensitive subject. Big hugs to you xxx

elizadears38 replied to Anon_149937's response:
thats probably caused by stress hunni xxx Your ok, you dont have HIV! I know there is a big stigma surrounding HIV but its now classed as a long term manageable illness like diabetes for example. Lots of people who contract HIV now will likely be as healthy as me and you and live the same time. YOU DONT HAVE HIV
Chin up xxx

An_250328 replied to Anon_149937's response:
hiv needs blood, body temp blood it cant survive in saliva, believe it or not HIV is a real wimp outside the body it lives less than 30 mins on any surface and is used to fighting blood born anti/pathogens not saliva. Hepatitis on the other hand can live for days on a surface, 48 hrs roughly and is contracted again through blood to blood contact except in certain strains of hep, I wish everyone would get their Hep jabs done to stop it becoming as prevelant as HIV. I have HIV friends and I have knowingly kissed one of them without worry because I know I wont catch the virus that way. If you are that concerned get tested, please let us know when you do so we can say we told you so when it comes back negative :)xx

Anon_149937 replied to elizadears38's response:
Thank you both for your responce! My mind has been put at ease! Thank you for taking the time out to write to me, it means a lot.

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 38 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.