Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Oral Sex and HIV
LouisMay posted:
Hi,
A few months ago I had oral sex with a few guys with unknown status. There was never any ejaculation in my mouth. I was concerned about my HIV status so I went to a doctor to get tested. The doctor gave me the INSTI test but told me that the test was only conclusive after 12 weeks. At the time I believed it was about 12 weeks after potential exposure, but after I took the test I went through some old text messages and discovered that it may have been done 10 weeks post exposure.

My question is should I get retested and what are my chances of contracting HIV with oral sex and no ejaculation.

Thanks.

georgiagail responded:
Oral sex, in itself, carries an extremely (and I do mean extremely) low risk of HIV transmission.

The statistics we use for estimated risk are .5 to 1 per 10,000 exposures with a. a source KNOWN to carry the virus and b. assuming the contact was carried to completion (i.e., ejaculation took place).

In your instances, neither of the above would be a factor, lowering your risk even further.

In addition, a screening test done one month post exposure is considered to be 95 percent accurate; that is, 95 percent of newly infected folks would have enough antibodies present to be picked up by current testing methods. By 3 months (12 weeks) this has increased to 99.9 percent.

So....is it likely that someone would test negative at 10 weeks and positive at 12? No.

In other words...and wading through all the stats I've thrown at you...the bottom line is that none of these episodes of oral sex have left you HIV positive.

I hope this makes sense and brings you some comfort.

Gail

vikingfan replied to georgiagail's response:
would protected oral sex with no completion be considered a reason to be tested?

elle0317 replied to vikingfan's response:
No. Read Gails response above for rates of transmission via oral sex. Even without condom, the risk is virtually non-existent.

Helpful Tips

Keep having Hope and faith, never give up and be positive
Hi, I would like to share my story. I've been HIV positive for 13 years and have been on MPWHerpes.com to meet my future husband. Well 24th ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.