Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Stress
Anon_149937 posted:
About two week ago I had a poissble exposure. I have felt so stressed and my anxiety has been very high. I've been having some pressure in my throat, my lymph nodes aren't swollen but I have been sneezing occationally. When I wake up I do have sniffly nose and tis morning my throat felt like it was a little sore.

I've written on this discussion board before, but I am still scared that I could of contracted HIV. I was involved in deep kissing where my gum started to bleed. It has been about 2 weeks since the encounter and I am so scared that maybe he has HIV and had open cuts or was bleeding as well.

Can someone give me some tips how to stay calm until I can go get tested? I called my local center and I was told my risk was extremely low but since blood was involved I can come in an get tested. I even asked a family friend who is a nurse who told me I was over reacting, especially since when I tasted blood I stopped kissing him. I'am just concerned that once we started to kiss again after my gum started to bleed that I contracted this disease. The anxiety is driving me insane!!!!

georgiagail responded:
You didn't have a possible exposure two weeks ago. You bumped teeth and your gums bled a bit. You had no knowledge that your partner was HIV positive and no knowledge that his gums even bled.

You are worrying over nothing but, I suspect, are likely to continue doing so until you get that nice big negative test result.

Gail

An_250298 responded:
Please don't worry over this. Your risk is miniscule, if any, and you don't even know if that partner was positive.

To put things in perspective, my boyfriend has HIV and we have had sex several times when the condom has broken (he ejaculated inside of me) and I am negative.

If you are sexually active, you should get HIV tests regardless, but this encounter shouldn't be your concern.

Anon_149937 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thanks for putting this in perspective Gail. You all do great work. I'm going to go get tested anyway. I even text him and asked if his teeth were bleeding at all and he said "no."

What freaked me out more was that literally 2 weeks after I have a sore throat, my nose is stuffy one minute then its running the next. I keep getting chills and then today I found a small circular rash underneath my breast. I am a mess!

Anon_149937 replied to An_250298's response:
Thank you for taking the time out to respond. You are so lucky! Be healthy and stay safe, thank you again.

An_250298 replied to Anon_149937's response:
You are talking about symptoms that resemble the flu....and this if flu season! The symptoms of acute HIV infection would last longer than the flu, and probably be more serious than you're talking about.

Anon_149937 replied to An_250298's response:
You and Gail are both right. Thank you for taking out the time to comment on my post, it means a lot. I'll get this concern out of my mind. Thank you again!!!

Georgiagail,

I know I am getting on your last nerve but after 2 weeks later I experienced my throat hurting, occational dry cough and sneezing along with my nose being very stuffy. When I go outside my nose starts to run but when Im indoors it's stuffy again,this lasted a few days. One day I felt like my lymph nodes were swollen. My sister felt my throat and she said the left side was sIightly but you could not tell by looking at me. I've experienced tingling in my left foot and sometimes I get chills, but no fever .Along with that a circular, bumpy rash appeared underneath my breast. The rash is gone, it lasted a few days as well.Now I have a canker sore and a cold sore. Coinsidence right?

georgiagail replied to Anon_149937's response:
Sounds like you're coming down with a cold.

Most adults carry the virus that causes cold sores (HSV1); this is, of course, a very different virus than HIV. If you haven't had a cold sore before it is possible you picked this up during the smooching event since it far easier to transmit than HIV. The two viruses are not connected in any way.

Gail

Thanks Gail.

Helpful Tips

A few words of advice that you can choose to take to heart
Just get tested every six months if you plan on, or a regular practitioner of unsafe sex. Since Six months is the final window period after ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 24 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.