Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Worried I may have HIV...
An_250319 posted:
Hello everyone. I'm new here and I've never been so scared in my life. Basically, I had unprotected sex with a woman back in June 2012. I immediately regretted it and started doing my research. I decided to wait about three months to get tested, but then around September I caught what I thought was the flu (never had it before). I went to the doctor and they stated I didn't have a fever. I did have chills and a sore throat, but no rash, and don't recall any swollen lymph nodes. I was fine in about a week.

Anyway, I had an HIV test Monday and am getting more and more nervous as the days pass. I only recently learned that some of the early symptoms include a "flu-like illness" and needless to say it freaked me out.

I have read that if you don't get the rash or swollen lymph nodes you're okay, but...I guess I just want to feel better until I hear positive or negative.

Thanks everyone. I'd appreciate any input.

elizadears38 responded:
Hello, first its a bit harder for a guy to get it through normal vaginal sex (no cuts or canker sores on either of you) than it is through anal sex either giving or receiving due to the membranes being so thin in the anal cavity they cut easily so are more prone to infection also may be slightly dry because the anus cant self lubricate, the vagina on the other hand is nice and stretchy to accommodate the male and moist, so no tearing and even if there was it then depends on her viral load if its low its actually harder than you would imagine to transmit, then your immune system which sounds like its tip top by the way would be the next line of defense and this is presuming that she was HIV positive which you havent mentioned if you knew her HIV status. Could you possibly get in touch with her, might put your mind at ease to ask if your not planning on going there again it wont matter too much! Dont worry so much, relax stress will make you mad. I work for a HIV organisation and more than 9 times out of ten its negative. I have swollen lymph nodes for no reason most of the time and catch every bug going and im ok. HIV is not what it used to be, its a long term manageable illness its not classed as a terminal illness its as manageable as diabetes. People with HIV now days are as healthy as me and you and live normal lives and could quite possibly die of something not even related to HIV! Please come back when you get your results so you can tell me how it went. What makes you think she is HIV by the way? xxxx You will be fine xxx

elizadears38 replied to elizadears38's response:
Oh if you do ever have this situation again, go the next day to the hospital and ask for ART which is HIV medication that blocks the virus from your immune system and is 96% effective if taken properly, its usually something called kaletra for 6 weeks but thats obviously if you knew the person had HIV, you could say that they told you afterwards when the whatever had split. It is a strong drug given in a large dos eand they wouldnt do it repeatedly, I just wish more people knew of it. Also get your HEP jabs thats one mean virus that is making itself known at present. Carry something with you, dont put yourself through this again xxx big hugs xxxxx

georgiagail replied to elizadears38's response:
OP, couple of things to keep in mind...

The "flu like" symptoms seen in early onset HIV (known as ARS for Acute Retroviral Syndrome) occur two to six weeks after transmission, not three months down the line.

What you had in September had nothing to do with this syndrome.

Let us know your test results, OK?

Gail

Helpful Tips

Keep having Hope and faith, never give up and be positive
Hi, I would like to share my story. I've been HIV positive for 13 years and have been on MPWHerpes.com to meet my future husband. Well 24th ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.