Take the Poll

What are the symptoms AIDS while nyou recently had oral sex
  • What are the possilble symptoms?
  • How do you catch aids from having oral sex
vote
View Poll Results

georgiagail responded:
You don't catch "AIDS" from oral sex.

The concern is HIV transmission from unprotected oral sex with a partner who is infected with the virus.

The estimated risk from unprotected oral sex is .5 to 1 per 10,000 exposures with a source KNOWN to carry the virus.

This risk is so low because the virus must, somehow, be able to actually enter the body (and swallowing sexual fluids doesn't count). For example, a person performing oral sex on someone who is infected must have an open, bleeding wound in their mouth while performing the act. This isn't really likely to happen is it?

We don't attempt to diagnose by symptoms. If one feels they may have been involved in a risky event, we encourage testing at the three month mark.

Gail

An_251529 replied to georgiagail's response:
Is it true that the virus cannot live in enzymes from saliva so what would cause me to get virus from receiving oral. If truly that low then i will stop worrying About having a sore throat

georgiagail replied to An_251529's response:
I don't know what would cause someone to get HIV from receiving oral sex. We've never had a patient become infected with HIV from receiving oral sex.

Gail

An_251529 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thanks Gail, how about the question of whether the virus can even live in enzymes from saliva. Thanks

georgiagail replied to An_251529's response:
No; saliva itself would not contain the virus. The saliva would also have to contain blood.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Encouragement for those who are worried
I gained a lot of reassurance reading this board over the last week and I just wanted to post my own experience to hopefully ease the minds ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.