Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Confused
Anon_149937 posted:
I have written on this board several times regarding my kissing incident where my teeth bled while I was kissing. Any who, I was told that I am not at risk considering I was the one who was bleeding not the person I was kissing, who's status I do not know.

Now, this event happend 6 weeks ago and I called my local testing clinic. One of the specilaist told me testing wasn't necessary and since I've been having anxiety about the situation a few weeks later I called and asked how conclusive would a test at 6 weeks be. He told me that I needed to wait 3 to 6 months because a test at 6 weeks might not show antibodies. Now I am confused because I've seen on several websites that antiboties would show by a month and he is telling me that I need to wait atleast 3 months.

I wanted to go this week so I could get tested but now I dont know. I really dont want to wait 3 months over this incident. I need to put my mind at ease.

georgiagail responded:
Yes, a 6 week test would show antibodies in over 95% of newly infected folks.

Gail

Anon_149937 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thanks Gail!

Considering you know about my event do you think I could stop testing at 6 weeks? I woke up today night feeling well and since the event I've experienced 3 headaches, one so bad I just had to go to sleep. Gas that has made me feel so bloated I developed nausea. Everyone keeps telling me I am worrying over nothing., but I cant stop thinking about it!

georgiagail replied to Anon_149937's response:
Since I don't think this event posed any risk for you whatsoever in the first place, I think testing at 6 weeks would be just fine.

Neither headaches nor gas are symptoms of early onset HIV, although I suspect the headaches are an excellent symptom of anxiety over a disease you do not have.

Gail

Anon_149937 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thank you Gail.

I am sorry to keep bothering you but I have no one to talk to. I wanted to go get tested tomorrow but I am even more petrified because I am getting a cold all over again and I woke up with chills all over my body and pain in my upper thighs towards my groin.My throat hurts a little and my nose is stuffy. Yesterday I woke up, felt lethargic and then developed a headache.Can ARS symptoms come at two weeks and then return at 6 weeks? I've read that there has only been one documented case of infection this way but I am mortified that If I go get tested it will come back positive.

georgiagail replied to Anon_149937's response:
You're not bothering me but in your anxiety you're also not listening when we tell you that this event did not leave you at any risk of HIV. Thus (like many) you are overly focusing on "symptoms" and are becoming more and more convinced that they must indicate you are HIV positive.

And no, ARS does not return once it has run its course.

Go get tested. Your test resuts will undoubtedly come back as negative.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Encouragement for those who are worried
I gained a lot of reassurance reading this board over the last week and I just wanted to post my own experience to hopefully ease the minds ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.