Skip to content
Still worried 10 years later...
An_250808 posted:
Hi. Im an 28 year old female.I went through a party phase in college a little over 10 years ago. During this time, I gave oral sex to a few different guys. It only happened one time with each of them. About three years later, I got married and started feeling guilty over my past. The anxiety kicked in and every once in a while, when I would think about it, I would freak out and think that I may have gotten HIV from those past experiences. I was drunk a few times and may have had bleeding gums or something. Now, 10 years later, I still freak out time to time. I know the risk is low, but maybe I'm one of the few that caught it. Adding to the guilt was that I didn't know the guys' statuses. Please help. Thanks.

georgiagail responded:
Oral sex (both giving and receiving) carries an EXTREMELY low risk of HIV transmission.

Think along of lines of an estimated risk of .5 to 1 per 10,000 exposures with a source KNOWN to carry the virus. Your risk in these events would be even lower since you cannot confirm your partners status.

Time to stop freaking out. These events did not leave you infected.

Gail

An_250808 replied to georgiagail's response:
So do you think I should get tested? I thought about buying the oraquick test. I just don't want to keep stressing out over my past. Thanks for your reply.

georgiagail replied to An_250808's response:
No, I think testing is certainly not indicated unless by doing so and getting that nice big NEGATIVE result, you can finally put this concern behind you.

Gail

I was going to go get tested today, but chickened out. All i can think is that I am that 1 in 10,000 that got infected. All of this happened so long ago that I can't remember the details. I may have had bleeding gums! I know for sure I brushed my teeth right before one encounter. My oral hygiene was horrible then. How much blood in your mouth would be needed? I have been looking on the internet and saw stories of girls having oral sex and getting hiv from it. That's really freaking me out! I was a virgin until I met my husband. I experimented with oral sex to try to fit in I guess. Horrible, I know. I was an idiot back then and should have gotten tested but was too scared to. Now I have no one to talk to about this because I don't want people to know the things I did. I haven't been eating normal either because I'm so worried about this. I've been thinking about what my life would be like if I were positive. I went to buy the oraquick test but the thought of seeing the two lines saying I was positive nearly gave me a heart attack. I think I will have to get tested or I won't be able to stop thinking about it. Sorry for continuing to freak out.

Ignore the Internet stories and pictures.

Look at it this way. It takes (roughly) about a decade for an untreated individual to move from HIV to the end stage of the disease (AIDS) at which point they would be suffering some VERY significant symptoms from an immune system that would then be ravaged by the virus. I'm talking about severe weight loss, extreme fatigue, often constant diarrhea, skin changes, great pain upon swallowing, specific types of pneumonia.

These would be symptoms that would be impossible to miss. You haven't indicated one of these. At the most what is happening is that you are working yourself up so much about a disease that you don't have that you find your appetite has gone belly up at the moment and you're making yourself sick worrying about all of this.

Really. Trust me on this one. Take the home test. Get the negative test result. Your relief at seeing the negative result will be wonderful. Then you can celebrate with chocolate.

Gail

I bought the oraquick home test this morning. I did it in my car and went to the park and walked around until it was time to check it. It was negative.
However, I am worried I didn't swab my gums correctly. I swabbed the upper and lower gums, one time like it said. However, I used a different side of the swab
for the top and bottom. It didn't specify to use the same side or both sides. There was only one line where the C was. It was a faint pink line. It
wasn't nearly as dark as they show in the booklet. Could this be a false negative? I prayed all morning like a crazy person and still don't feel relieved
because I think I may have not swabbed correctly. I have my yearly checkup Monday. Do you think I should get a second test done? I'm sorry for posting
so much. I've been worrying about this for so many years that it's hard to know that I could be negative. Thanks again.

You did the test correctly. This test is designed to be fool proof.

Please trust the test results.

You ARE HIV negative.

You should be celebrating with chocolate. Lots of chocolate. Not worrying about a disease you do not have.

There is no need for a second test. Heck, there was no need for this first test (remember what I told you about symptoms that you would have had if you had been HIV positive for the past decade).

Let this fear go and accept the fact that your previous sexual experiences did NOT leave you infected and this test has CLEARLY shown this.

Gail

An_250808 replied to An_250808's response:
Three months later and I'm back. I had been doing fine but then went to my yearly and she diagnosed me with a yeast infection which I had no clue I had. I didn't have any symptoms. I took the oral pill but that didn't help so she prescribed a cream and I still think I have it. I don't have the typical symptoms that come with one so I'm not sure. This made me freak out bc last year she also told me I had a yi for my yearly. I know that can be related to hiv so I've been freaking out.

I then remembered your response about my oraquick result and calmed down but when I looked on you tube at how the swabbing was supposed to be don, I started to worry. They swabbed their entire gum line left to right on the top and bottom. I didn't do that. I guess I misread the directions. I swabbed only the left side top once then bottom once. Does that affect my results?

I'm so worried I did the test wrong and I could have hiv and not even know. I really want to put this behind me but I'm so scared. I've also had this gland in my neck that has been bugging me. Don't have to tell you how much that added fuel to my anxiety. Will this ever end? Again, thank you for your time. You are a blessing!

No, how you swabbed had absolutely no effect on the accuracy of your test results.

Your results were quite accurate. You are HIV negative. There is absolutely no doubt about this.

How do I know this? Two reasons

1. Remember that oral sex in itself carries an unbelievably low risk of HIV transmission (even assuming any of your partners were positive in the first place).

2. If you were infected a decade ago, you would, by now, be "enjoying" the full blown symptoms of AIDS; hard to miss.

Yeast (and bacteria) both naturally reside in the vaginal tract of every woman. The vagina isn't a sterile environment. If one or other of these tends to grow a bit, the result is a yeast (or bacterial) infection. Depressingly common by the way.

Gail

An_250808 responded:
Will I ever be able to get over this fear? Or forget about my past? I keep going back and thinking maybe I didn't see the second line on the oraquick test which I know is ridiculous because of the relief I felt after taking it. I know it's my anxiety doing this to me but I still think I did it wrong or it was a fluke that I was negative. I've started googling oral sex and hiv once again and read that people that had severe mouth problems could get hiv from oral sex. I know I didn't have that but I keep thinking I'll be the rare case that has caught it. I truly want to move on with my life. It's been 12 years now since that wild college semester. I just keep thinking that I'm infected. There was a blood drive fir someone I know and I was too terrified to donate bc the thought of getting a letter saying my blood was rejected was terrifying. I think the biggest thing is that I gave myself the oraquick test so I keep doubting everything I did. I also read a post by someone who was still worried 26 years later! I don't want to be like that. I want to put this behind me.

Perhaps some short term counseling regarding a disease that you don't have would be helpful then.

Who wants to go 26 years worrying about a disease they don't have!

Gail

mmm123456 responded:
I could not get it out of mind once again so I bought another oraquick test and swabbed my gums exactly like the picture. It came out negative again. I know I am pretty much nuts for worrying this much but that's my anxiety kicking in. I have vowed to stop with the worrying and start living my life. I'm not going to give this worry any more thought as it has been proven two times that I'm negative. I think when I go for my yearly next year, I'll have an HIV test run there just to have it done since I have insurance now and it covers it. Last year I was checked for all other stds except for HIV. Thank you so much for helping me the last few years. You have eased my mind so much!!

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.