Skip to content
ora quick
An_250973 posted:
Im hoping you could relieve my stress. I had unprotected sex about 9-12 months ago and been feeling symptoms that are related to hiv. The female that I was with told me she was clean and I had nothing to worry about. She is also about 3 months pregnant and told me its mandatory that her doctor checks her blood for hiv, is this true? And if she had a std could that turn into hiv within a year if untreated? I recently took the oraquick from cvs and came back negative. I know it says to take the test 3 months after exposure, but what if I took the test a year or so after exposure? Would the test still function properly and pick up antibodies within that time frame?

georgiagail responded:
HIV screening tests (such as the OraQuick) work by checking for antibodies the immune system begins to produce after HIV transmission has taken place.

By 3 months after transmission 99.9 % of newly infected folks will have enough antibodies present to be picked up by these tests. In your case you tested even further than the 3 month mark (at least 9-12 months) after the potential exposure and so, yes, IF you had been exposed to the virus and become infected this test would CERTAINLY have come back with a "reactive" (i.e., positive) result.

It is also important to remember that whatever symptoms you are feeling currently have absolutely NOTHING to do with HIV.

Why do we know this? Because the timeline for HIV is this: 2 to 6 weeks after transmission a person will go through a short (2 week cycle) of "flu like" symptoms known as the Acute Retroviral Syndrome (ARS). After this passes there will be NO symptoms connected to HIV for many, many years. It is not until the immune system has been terribly damaged by the virus that one begins to experience significant symptoms. In an untreated individual, this takes, on an average, about a decade after the initial exposure.

Thus, when one becomes worried that an event may have left them exposed, there is often a tendency to read about symptoms on the internet and connect things like headaches, aches, pains, rashes, a white tongue, anxiety, changes in appetite, GI changes, etc. as evidence that they "must" be HIV positive. This is not the case. Testing trumps symptoms each and every time. In your case, testing has clearly indicated this unprotected sexual event did not leave you infected.

I hope this makes sense.

Gail

An_250973 replied to georgiagail's response:
Yes, what you have said made sense, but I recently went into a clinic to get tested for std/hiv. They revealed that I had a little bit of blood in my urine. The physician believed it was because of inflammation. And next week I will find out the results for the hiv testing and I'm hoping it is good news. Im a bit skeptical because I forgot to mention that when I had unprotected sex, I had an open wound on my penis from her grinding on me before the intercourse. The wound has healed of now, but I'm worried that infection or hiv could have went through the wound. I want to know if she was 'clean' of any disease could I get hiv from this open wound? Thanks again.

georgiagail replied to An_250973's response:
Let's look at this logically..

If she was "clean"..in the sense that she has no STD, including HIV, she had nothing to pass onto you, did she.

In order for someone to become infected with HIV through unprotected sexual contact, their partner must already be infected with the virus AND this virus must be able to, somehow, enter the uninfected persons body.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Help asap
My daughter disclosed to me that she was exposed to HIV. She denies that he has been tested for HIV. He also is not high risk. She told me ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.