Skip to content
Worried I may have HIV
An_251022 posted:
I have been with my boyfriend for over a year now. Because I was on birth control, and he promised me he was clean, we have been having unprotected sex since. However, about 7 months into our relationship, I found out I had chlamydia. He claimed that because he urinated right before his last STD test, it came back as a false negative. When he went to get his medicine for chlamydia, he also got tested for HIV. This test came back negative. I am 99% sure that my boyfriend has only been with me throughout our relationship, which means that he shouldnt have had to worry about a window period of at least three months.

Lately, I've been worrying that I am showing signs of HIV. I had a very sore throat/fever about three weeks ago with no other symptoms of a cold/flu. That went away after about a week. For about a month now, I have had these small red rashes around the side of my mouth, and by my nose, but not inside my mouth. My last pap smear test came back abnormal. I have lost about 10 pounds without trying within the last 6 months (this is a lot for me as I went from 105 to 95 at 5'2"). My neck has been very sore/stiff the past few days. I get tired/sore easily from moderate activities such as carrying a heavy box (this may just be due to low weight?).

I am the type to over think symptoms and become easily paranoid. I just want to know if anyone can relate to these symptoms and believes I should reach out to my doctor for a test. Or am I worrying over nothing because my boyfriend's test came back negative and I have only been with him for about a year and a half.

georgiagail responded:
We do not attempt to diagnose HIV by symptoms, although I can honestly say that none of yours have anything to do with HIV.

Your boyfriend has tested negative for HIV and thus, at the time, he did not have the virus.

If you remain concerned about this, you can always consider a screening test. There are very reliable home screening tests now available over the counter you can use.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Help asap
My daughter disclosed to me that she was exposed to HIV. She denies that he has been tested for HIV. He also is not high risk. She told me ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.