Skip to content
Oraquick accuracy?
An_250891 posted:
Hi, I did a Oraquick test today and it was over a year after my dangerous act. I had a drink of water at about 9:13PM and swabbed my gums at about 9:41PM for the test. I wasn't thinking clearly and was really nervous and forgot about the 30 minutes of no food or drink you need to wait to swab your gums. I don't think I drank any water in between these times. It is hard to remember though for certain 100% if I did or didn't drink in between these times but I'm pretty sure I didn't. Does anyone know if you have water about 28 minutes or less, before swabbing your gums could throw off the results? My results said negative. I'm assuming water would throw off your results the least, plus my saliva was really sticky and thick cause I was nervous. Any reply would be great. Thanks...

georgiagail responded:
No, drinking water 28 minutes before taking this test would not change the results one bit. The results would still be accurate in terms of your status.

Gail

zipper90 replied to georgiagail's response:
I have a question Gail six weeks a I had an unprotected oral sex with a hooker which I didn't cum in her mouth plus I don't have any sore on my penis excepts PPP and now an now I noticed a painful cyst in my groin area and after a couple of days I noticed one in left armpit with drained pus. The next four appeared and after a couple of days something like a swollen lymph node appeared at the same spot (in my left armpit) larger and more painful I went to a doctor he said they were Abscess and the later one might be a lymph node. I become very worried I didn't eat for two days and i started to feel sick, headache and muscles aches. I ordered the Oraquick test kit today which I'll receive in two days. So I want ease my anxiety as I've been really depressed and have all sorts of nightmares about HIV. Could this HIV?

georgiagail replied to zipper90's response:
Nope; this has absolutely nothing to do with HIV.

Those cysts (and these are often sebaceous cysts) can be quite painful but they have nothing to do with HIV.

Gail

Ok but are these abscesses/cyst related to any STD? They're completely healed after taking some oral antibiotics and I have never had anything like them before. And I had nausea, weakness and extreme muscle ache for like three days then it stopped and like three days ago I'm experiencing a stiff neck. And I believe the hooker has Std/HIV though I don't have any proof.

zipper90 replied to zipper90's response:
And also I forget to mention that I have lower jaw pain. One thing driving me nuts is that this is the first time I'm experiencing these things. And I think I can't afford to live with such a disease I'm only 19 and that was my 1st time receiving an oral sex.

The cysts are not related to HIV. They cleared up with antibiotics. Thus, they were bacteria infections, not viral in nature.

Oral sex carries an EXTREMELY low risk of HIV transmission. Think along the lines of an estimated risk of .5 to 1 per 10,000 exposures with a source KNOWN to carry the virus.

Your risk would be less since you do not know the status of this person. You are only guessing that she must have HIV because she is a hooker.

As we say on this list "testing beats symptoms each time". If you remain concerned over these very, very small risk, then take your test and stop focusing on what you think are symptoms that must mean you are HIV positive. Your test will show your negative status.

Gail

Thank you so much Gail. I have already ordered the Oraquick I'll take the test to have a peace of mind. Thank you.

hi Gail, I told you that I tested Neg- using the Oraquick home test after 80days and everything was back to normal all the anxiety was gone but recently I read an article stating that the Oraquick is not accurate and one needs to take a blood test after 90days in a clinic to be considered conclusive. After reading I got scared to death. And my sore throat is back, kinda dry and itchy and it's been 94days post exposure. I'm really scared and please do the ARS symptoms appear at the same time frame or one comes after the other? I really I wanna forget this because I have so many exams ahead of me I'm not doing well this semester all because if this HIV issue. Please I need your advice. Thanks

Ignore the article you read.

Gail

georgiagail replied to georgiagail's response:
zipper90..
Whoever writes these articles should (frankly) be shot.

Remember what I told you about your risk from receiving oral sex (.5 to 1 per 10,000 exposures with a source KNOWN to carry the virus). Remember what I told you regarding your bacterial, not viral infections for those cysts.

Your sore/itchy throat has NOTHING to do with ARS nor HIV. Nothing. ARS occurs two to six weeks after transmission, not 94 days later. You're only thinking about it with HIV because of the article you read.

The Oraquick test is FDA approved for home use. It is easy to use and quite accurate in determining ones HIV status.

Gail

I really appreciate your response, honestly every time I read your response my anxiety subsidies. I think my sore throat is as a result of the early dry winter breeze we are have here in North Dakota because I usually sleep with my windows open and when it's cold I wake up with dry lips and sore throat but the problem is my friends do the same but nothing happened to them so that was why I was thinking it was a symptom. I'm trying to stay away from the internet it only make me more anxious. Every symptom I search on google is somehow related to HIV, can you imagine? I mean it doesn't make sense! Seriously! and I'm beginning to realize that it's just misinformation from stupid people that don't even know the virus.

I'm trying to forget about the HIV and move on I mean I almost did, I was totally doing fine after I tested negative I even celebrated my Neg- result but soon after that article, my happiness was ruined and with the fact that my sore throat was back I was completely terrified. I'm trying to stay positive that I'm Neg- but it's not easy honestly. I have learned from this, and I swear I'll never have sex with anyone be it oral or vaginal or handjob whatsoever until I get married. That was my first sex encounter And it was a friend of mine that dragged me into it. I feel I was uneducated I had no idea HIV could be pass through oral sex. Pleas Gail, do you think I'll be fine? Do you think I can trust my result and move on? I have so much in life that I need accomplish, I used to be a very ambitious and hardworking person before this HIV incident. I wish I could take that moment back. Please talk to me I have no one to talk to I live with my college friends and I don't wanna share this with them plus I can't tell my family about it.

I think you will be perfectly fine HIV wise, although you are driving yourself crazy over a disease you do not have and did not get from this one sexual encounter.

If it helps, we have NEVER had one of our patients get their HIV infection from either giving or receiving oral sex. Never. Not a one. Zippo. Nada.

Put this worry behind you and go on, study for your exams and do well on them.

Gail

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. It sure helps a lot. Thank you.

Helpful Tips

Keep having Hope and faith, never give up and be positive
Hi, I would like to share my story. I've been HIV positive for 13 years and have been on MPWHerpes.com to meet my future husband. Well 24th ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.